Dakota trans to an MJ question...

I was working on a 2001 dakota with a 2.5 5speed yesterday, and was wondering if the NV1500, NV3500, NV3550 trans from these trucks in either 2wd or 4wd would work with our MJ's? Has anyone tried this before, or even noticed if it might work? It would be great to have more options for all of us out here trying to keep our trucks alive and well. I realize that most of us arent too interested in keeping our 2.5's around very long, and that something like this probably hasnt been too high of a priority. Any info you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I did a search, and all I came up with was the use of the bellhousing as is stated in the link you posted. Does anyone know if the AX15 is the same tranny as the nv1500,3500,3550? And if the Dakota tranny behind a 2.5 in an MJ would be a viable swap, if in fact it is not an AX15?

I did a search, and all I came up with was the use of the bellhousing as is stated in the link you posted. Does anyone know if the AX15 is the same tranny as the nv1500,3500,3550? And if the Dakota tranny behind a 2.5 in an MJ would be a viable swap, if in fact it is not an AX15?

so far as I know, no one has attempted this to date.

what you need to find out is if the bellhousing is a 60 degree gm bellhousing. I do not think it is because I'm fairly certain that they changed from the 2.5 liter gm pattern bellhousing to a different engine design after the early 90's.

go to a chrysler dealer and ask them, that's about the only way you will find out.

the AX15 is NOT the same as any of those other transmissions

Did deeper searching in the given link, found someone doing it... the NV3550 to an 88 XJ 2.5. I will copy and paste here....

"I am also taking advantage of this info, thanks again, I am putting a 3550 behind the 2.5 an '88. I found a pilot bushing from AA pn 716167, it's a conversion pilot for the 2.5 /4500, but the two trannys share an input shaft diameter so it will work out with less headaches from the parts store. For some reason the later (88) input on the ax-5 didn't extend that extra .5 inch. ( so says AA) but we'll see once I put this together. I also purchased a conversion hose and fittings for the slave cylinder p/n 716130h-hose,716130f & 716130tj-both fittings from AA, my stock 88 master to a newer 2000 slave. now all I need is a slave cylinder. I found one at Q-tec but it says i need to reuse the hex screw. any thoughts?? I am going to try napa once they open. get a clutch disk, fork, release bearing and figure out how to mount the 3550 to my skid and i'll be all set, hell I might just go ahead a make a flat skid with a custom mount. thanks"

This gives me a little hope ;)

I have the NV3550 in my 2000 XJ. It's a MUCH smoother tranny than the AX-15, and it has better ratios. The AX-15 will be less expensive and more available, but IMHO the NV3550 would be far better if you can do it.

Am I right in assuming that the nv3550 will bolt up directly to the 2.5, transfer case and all, with the only things to be fabbed being the trans mount crossmember, speedo, shiftters for trans and TC, and custom length driveshafts? Seems to me the complete assy being transplanted would be easier, but then again we are working with 20 plus year old trucks....

Am I right in assuming that the nv3550 will bolt up directly to the 2.5, transfer case and all, with the only things to be fabbed being the trans mount crossmember, speedo, shiftters for trans and TC, and custom length driveshafts? Seems to me the complete assy being transplanted would be easier, but then again we are working with 20 plus year old trucks....

simple answer, WE DON'T KNOW.

you'll have to find out if it bolts to a 60 degree gm motor. if it does, then the chances are likely that you can make it work. if you can't do that, then you will also have to make a bellhousing for it.

Did a little more research, I think the 4 cyl Dakota did not come with a 4x4 option, but came with the same trans. Looks like if you take the 4 cyl bellhousing and mate it to a 6 or 8 cyl trans and tcase assy. everything should bolt up as far as the engine trans connection is concerned. If you get the 4x4 trans with a bellhousing , it would leave you with a spare part for a possible future 3.7, 3.9, 4.7, 5.2, 5.9 swap depending on which vehicle you get the trans from. Just some fruit for thought here. I'm not necessarily going to do this trans swap, but I want to know all the options in case somthing happens in the future, like I get a lot more money to spend or my current setup blows up and makes it that much easier to convince the unknowing wife that I absolutely need this for the MJ! :brows: