it's too cold out to go look, so i'll just ask...........

i want to tune up the mj as soon as it's above 30. it's too cold to spend the time checking it out right now so i thought i'd just ask so i can be prepared. it's an 87 2.5 auto 4x4 with a/c and cruise. i was wondering how to get at the first spark plug. i looked at it once and it looked like that plug is under the ac compressor. is there a trick i should know about?

what spark plugs work best have you found (specific brand and plug number). i normally use bosch platinums but they don't work in every motor.

is the idle adjustable? What's the best setting?

where is the fuel filter? is it a pretty easy job?

i could go out and check my book, but that's all the way in the garage and it's 10 below. i can stay warm if i ask on here. :clapping:

If every subject has been covered, and we tell everyone to just do a search, then what is this forum here for? May as well just be a Comanche wikipedia. The fuel filter is on the frame rail, real easy to get at, as far as that plug, I have no Idea, I havent been lucky enough to get one with AC yet. I like the platinums too, but not sure if they are any better than anything else. I think I put platinum Plus 2's in my 2.5, I havent had any issues. Not sure about the idle as it is controlled by the computer, check for vacuum leaks, and maybe try to clean out or get a new Idle air control. Ive yet to have an issue with that as well. Good luck!

AC Delco plugs are probably the recommended plug for that engine. I alos like the Bosch Platinums, but I have been told that they do not work well in the older engines. I have them in my 1995 HO 4.0L and in my 2002 4.7L Ram truck, but not in the MJ.

"Idle", persé, is not adjustable, but I think the 2.5L has an adjustable IAC. If you are having idle issues you probably need to clean the throttle body & IAC.

To get to that plug...you typically have to move the compressor. The 4.0L engine has the same issue, but I was able to get it using a wobble adapter and extension...but...it is a PITA and a lot of people say it's easier and faster to loosen & move the compressor.

Yes, the fuel filter is on the driver side frame rail near the rear tire. I believe you are suppose to release the pressure thru the schraeder valve on the fuel rail before you disconnect it.

For sparkplugs I have always read to stick with the stock champion plugs or maybe go to the champion truck plugs. I used the stock cheap champions.

I also have not been lucky enough to have AC.