XJ Cigarette lighter well works perfect.

My MJ lacked a cigarette lighter well, so I couldn't use my satellite radio. It was however already wired for a lighter well. I went to the good ol' pull a part and found an 88 (I am sure any year with a similar dash would work) xj and pulled the lighter well plate out of it, I cut the wires about 8 inches out so as to make sure I knew how everything plugged up, make sure you don't cut before the plug for the ring light. Pull the dash off, take the three screws around the lighter well delete plate out, plug up the lighter well plate, replace the three screws and put the dash back in, and you are done.

Most everyone probably knew this already, but just in case they didn't here you go.

My MJ lacked a cigarette lighter well, so I couldn't use my satellite radio. It was however already wired for a lighter well. I went to the good ol' pull a part and found an 88 (I am sure any year with a similar dash would work) xj and pulled the lighter well plate out of it, I cut the wires about 8 inches out so as to make sure I knew how everything plugged up, make sure you don't cut before the plug for the ring light. Pull the dash off, take the three screws around the lighter well delete plate out, plug up the lighter well plate, replace the three screws and put the dash back in, and you are done.

Most everyone probably knew this already, but just in case they didn't here you go.

lol... Theres a light that clips on the lighter as well, that makes the green ring glow..

...Never seen a MJ or XJ without a lighter.

Yeah I just assumed it had one when I bought the truck, and went to plug up my sat. radio, and realized that I didn't have one, after a long time of searching thinking it may be hidden in the ash tray or some other obscure location, until a friend of mine said "hey, man, it is right here on Cherokees." It took me a while to believe that a semi modern vehicle wouldn't have a cigarette ligher. Heck! my '74 CJ5 has a cigarette lighter for God's sake!

Perhaps I should have said power outlet, I didn't mean the coil that heats up with a handle on it. My TJ and my Miata both lack the pop out and literally light a cigarette part, but they both have power outlets (The TJ has two).

It just seems very odd, that the AMC factory would go ahead and put the wires in the dash, but hold out on the outlet for a couple more bucks in options.

I knew what you meant. Power outlet is easier to understand than Lighter well. Lighter well could be interpreted in text only message to read like: Lighter, well.

I think some folks were confused as to whether I meant the outlet/lighter well, or the actual handled piece that has the coil that heats up in it.

I know what you mean about it being funny, kind of like KFC used to be Kentucky Fried Chicken until someone decided that the word fried is bad. One of these days marketing departments might figure out we are not stupid, but I doubt it because every light duty truck in the world still has IFS :mad:. (which is why I love MJ's.)