86 v6 trans swap question...

I just bought an 86 MJ long bed with a 5 spreed 4x4. If the trans is an AX5, can it be swapped to my 87 2.5??? If so, will it just need the bellhousing swapped over from the AX4??? And is that even possible??? I've been under my MJ a hundred times, but have never thought to look to see if it has a seperate bellhousing. That would be great as a headstart for me to do a 4x4 conversion on my 87, if so, looks like all I'll need is maybe a new rear driveshaft. Thanks for the help!!!

you don't really even need to swap the bellhousing, but you can. just look and make sure they both have the same clutch assemblies etc.

and make sure that if the 86 is 4wd, the 87 is too. you cannot mount a t-case on a 2wd transmission.

oh, btw they are not hard to rebuild. both correy (geonovast) and I have taken ax4's and ax5's and combined them for one good 5 speed, and also converted from 2wd to 4wd.

That should work fine. :thumbsup: Are you planning on using the 86's axles too? They should be 4.10, but you'll need to confirm that since weird things happened in 86. Either of your rear driveshafts can be cut down by a shop to the proper size if needed.

The V6 also won't have a crank position sensor (or a place for it on the bellhousing). The 87 2.5L needs a CPS. I believe the bellhousing is a separate part and can be swapped.

nah, the 86 should have the hole there, the screw holes won't be tapped though. I've done this 5 or 6 times now. both 86 and 87 should be external slave cylinders, but you never know.

is your 87 a longbed? is it 4wd?

then the driveshafts are completely interchangeable between the jeeps.

but to help you, we need to know 2wd vs 4wd.