Driver’s side window regulator gone bad!

I thought the crank handle just didn’t have a good enough bite on the regulator stud because it just spun around. When I got home, I stripped off the interior panel and had to “finesse” the regulator to turn with a pair of vise grip pliers.

I can see two rivets that hold the regulator to the door. Are there any special tools or tricks to removing the regulator inside the door? Are regulators repairable? Last question-does anyone know up to what year 4-door XJ they are interchangeable with?

I thought the crank handle just didn’t have a good enough bite on the regulator stud because it just spun around. When I got home, I stripped off the interior panel and had to “finesse” the regulator to turn with a pair of vise grip pliers.

I can see two rivets that hold the regulator to the door. Are there any special tools or tricks to removing the regulator inside the door? Are regulators repairable? Last question-does anyone know up to what year 4-door XJ they are interchangeable with?

Use a drift punch to drive the center pin out of the rivets, then drill them out w. a 1/4" bit. And regulators up to and including the 1996 4-door XJs will work for you. Now's the time to go electric! :D

Yeah, I did a Google image search and saw them. Do I need a particular size for this application?

I'm not sure Rob. The pic I have, The wrench has a small "U" on it at the end of the handle and each arm of the U has a metal nipple that fits into the holes on the spanner nut. The pics I found don't look like the pic I have.

The spanner wrench is useful and the right tool, however I have pulled a dozen or more without one. Most of them just holding it with my hand and a couple needed a little assistance with a pair of needle nose pliers. You figure after 20 years, most of them are stuck in there pretty good and don't turn when you loosen the nut. Just give it a try first before you go spending money on a tool you'll have limited use for.

:cheers: