AX5 behind 6cyl

Can I use the AX5/207 I have out of my doner XJ ,till I get a AX15/231. :dunno: Or should I hold out,sell theAX5/207 and BA10 to help pay for trans/tc that I need? Which brings up the next question,Is there a particular years of trans/tc that I should use or not use because of speedo, or clutch throw out bearing issues?Am I going to be searching for a pre-92 because of the mechanical speedometer drive? Am I going to be able to use a clutch set up that has an external slave assy,I think Iv'e

gotten the idea that the throw out assy. that is internal on the input shaft is junk.Last of all I will be posting the 2 trans &

1 TC in the classifieds when they get pulled,hopefully if it warms up a little.lol....April.Or sooner if there is an interest in any of this stuff before then.

It depends on the 6 cyl if it is a 2.8 i would say yes based on the info that you have in you signature states that you have a 87 comanche which was the first year of the 4.0l six, the ax5 will not hold up to the 4.0l btw your on track thinking of obtaining both tranny & tc and there are differences. I do believe that the first year for the external setup of the slave cyl is 94 XJ (AX-15) the internal slave 87-92 MJ the puke joe tranny with tc is a 21 spline and the ax-15 with tc are 23 spline. I would check the local pic-n-pull and see what you can find there And i do know that some one else on this team can provide additional details. I went with the external slave setup. :cheers: and good luck

The AX-5 bellhousing will not bolt up to the 4.0L block. If you manage to adapt it, you will have to drive very gently or you'll blow the tranny -- the 4.0L generates a lot more torque than the 4-cylinder the AX-5 was intended for.

If you want a 4.0L s-speed with an external slave, look for a 1994 or newer XJ AX-15.

Can you use it...Yes.

Should you sell all that stuff to finance a better set up...Definitely :cheers:

no. you cannot. there is no bellhousing to adapt the ax5 to a 4.0.

to the OP.

don't worry about the mechanical speedo drive...they are completely interchangeable. get a 94 on up ax15 for an external bellhousing.

I have a buick 3800 in my comanche. it outputs around 210 hp and 230 ft lbs/torque. it's a 60 degree gm bellhousing pattern, which is exactly what the ax5 is. the thing literally eats ax5's for lunch so I finally found the proper bellhousing for the ax15 to swap. I blew 4 ax5's in 6 months.