lift and 2wd to 4wd convert

hey guys just bought my mj two weeks ago 89 pioneer 4.0 2wd 144000 miles. I bought it for $900 i really liked it but then got to lookin at this site and realized how quickly it could be turned in to a offroading machine...i was wondering any info on 4wd conversions i know there are many post about it but I'm new to the jeep world so all info is helpful. Also i want to put a lift on it how tall would i have to go to fit 33 10.5s or maybe 12.5s with no rubbing.

Welcome to the Club... :cheers:

Yes...there is a lot of info here about doing the conversion. Look through the Project forums and you will find a ton of good info.

Here is one thread going on recently about the 4WD swap... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13375&hilit=4wd+conversion

If you use the search feature and type in things like "4WD swap", "4WD conversion", "4 wheel drive" ... you will find a lot more. :thumbsup:

As for the lift, you will need 4.5" - 5.5" to comfortably fit the wheel & tire set up that you are talking about.

Probably the least expensive lift to go with 33" tires is to go spring over axle in the rear, all you need to do (or have done) is weld new spring perches on top of the axle, and possibly take the center bolt out of the leaf packs and put a new one in bottom to top. But that may not even be necessary. That should give you ~6.5" with your stock springs. You probably need at least 4.5" which can be done with new leaf packs in the back, but may need to do some cutting on your front fenders.

In the front you can go with 6.5" coils, adjustable upper and lower control arms and an adjustable track bar.

And then taller shocks and longer brake lines. YJ lines should work for the front, mid 90s Dakota for the rear and a longer rod for the variable brake proportioning valve, or take the valve out of the equation all together. Stainless steel brake lines for whatever lift you will be running are also available.

You could have your current 2wd drive shaft cut down to whatever length you need.

Some people say with 6.5" lift you need long arms up front but other people have wheeled with 6.5" lift and short arms fine. The ride will be more harsh with the control arms being angled instead of flat.

Do your research, decide what you want to do and look around. Some parts might be available used, like adjustable control arms from people who decided they wanted to convert to long arms later, you might find some deals around. Motion Offroad had some scratch-n-dent adjustable control arms a while ago, they may still.

I went wheeling with my 4wd near stock; 235/75R15 snow tires and a 2" budget lift with stock shocks in the rear and 2" shock extensions in the front and my stock brake lines. There were a few Comanches there so I took a careful look to decide what I wanted to do. I now run 4.5" lift with the same tires as any higher would make the tires look to small. When money admits I will get 5 rims and 5 33" play tires. Then after the current tires go bald I'll bump it up to 6.5". It will be a few years, but I'm in no hurry.

He's got a 2wd, so he'll likely only get 5.5" in the rear (6.5 over current height, but 2wd leafs sit one inch lower than 4wd leafs so when matching up with front coils, think of it as closer to 5" of lift).

Don't forget about axle strength and gear ratios.

thanks for the info guys...besides another comanche what models and years of jeeps would be donors for all the parts i need for the swap? also will the d30 hold up with 33s...it will be a daily driver and i don't get to crazy offroad mostly some dirt roads and snow covered fields when I'm hunting?

The XJ is a good donor for parts as everything about the MJ & XJ is the same from the doors forward.

The D30 will hold up fine for 33's, but it would be recommended that you upgrade to the later model ('94 & up) axle shafts as the u-joints in our older trucks are smaller & weaker.

Comanches are getting harder to find, but Cherokees are everywhere. Easiest route will be to get a Cherokee parts rig and take everything off it. You can even use the Cherokee rear axle if the front axle ratio doesn't match your current rear axle, just by getting the perches cut off and new ones welded on. The only thing you'd be missing is a rear drive shaft as the Cherokee one will be too short. But you can have a shop cut your 2wd shaft down to the needed length.