AW4 Shifting Issue?

OK, 87 MJ with 4.0L and AW4 tranny.

About a month ago started shifting hard into and out of 4/OD.

So I replaced the TPS (system voltage is 4.65v and set TPS at 3.85v) and its still doing it.

What else should I be looking at since up until a month ago it was fine?

Can you be a little more descriptive on the "hard shifting" thing?

Goes into and out of 4/OD with a bang/bump that is about 10 times harder than normal. I'm told that the TPS is the first place to start. Since I've replaced it and (apparently) calibrated it properly, whats next?

The first XJ I had used to do that.. It would kinda feel like it was shifting into passing gear and back to OD when on the highway around 60-65. I never got to fix it because of it burning to the ground because of leaking injectors. But I always thought it was the kickdown cable needed adjustment. :dunno: I feel your pain though.. Its annoying as hell

First thing I'd do is check the bolts on the torque converter. It sounds to me that they may be loose (a somewhat common problem on the XJ/MJ with the AW4).

The AW4 has 3 solenoid's that control shifting. The 1st and 2nd one simply control what gear the tranny is in. Solenoid 3 is very simple. Put power to it, and the Torque Converter will lock. Solenoid 3 is unique, in that it only controls TC lock functions. If it's "popping" when going into OD (aka torque converter lock) it may be an issues with Solenoid 3 itself as well.