Crankshaft bolt (EDIT: Timing questions)

I am replacing the timing chain on the 2.5, and i am down to removing the crankshaft bolt. I cannot seem to break it loose. Just wondering if its a left hand treaded bolt.

Thanks for any help. :D

"crankshaft bolt", you mean the one that holds the harmonic balancer on the crank snout? It's regular threaded. Easiest way is to bump it with an impact wrench (air or electric). If you don't have access to either, you can wedge a braeaker bar with socket against the framerail and (carefully) bump the engine via the starter (did I mention carefully....) to loosen it, then finish removing with a ratchet.

Jeff

Yeah the harmonic balancer bolt is the one. Thanks for the info.

The write up you did was great on the timing chain replacement. :D But i read it just a little late to think about using the drive accessories to help hold tension for removal of the bolt. :fool: Also glad to know that i don't have to drop the oil pan to replace the tensioner.

This is my first timing chain and i am learning as i go.

Ok i have a few question now that i have everything apart.

I set the timing to TDC by taking the number one spark plug out and bumping the starter until I felt the compession start to build. Then i rotated it to zero using the timing marks on the timing cover. Also the rotor button was pointing to number one post on the cap. So this have been set to TDC correct?

But when i removed the timing chain cover the timing marks where incorrect. The piston spocket was correct but the cam spocket was 180 degrees off.

Just wondering if i have done anything wrong.

Thanks again for any info...

Cool, so does that mean that i rotate the camshaft sprocket around untill it lines up with the crank sprocket timing mark or do time it where it is. :dunno:

From what I've seen, with the crank at #1 TDC, the two dots on the sprockets should be pointing straight at each other.

Where they point depends on TDC compression stroke, or TDC exhaust stroke.

Which one you need depends on whether the distributor is pointing at #1, or 180 degrees away from it. If the distributor is run off the cam it doesn't matter, if it is run off the crank you have to pay attention.