Need some how to help

:help: OK so I posted some questions regarding my steering wheel locking, and after looking through your comments and suggestions, I really liked the Idea of having a switch to just flip to start my Manche. Well turns out I don't know how to do it :dunno: , if you could, please show me or tell me how! I just got a whole bunch of switches and Id love to have one be the ignition! :yes: I'm looking to do this tomorrow so heLP me out everybody, show me the way of Tech. :smart:

while you are at it make some other items (give it that race car look)

stuff like:

electric fan

fuel pump

battery power to the truck

think about what people will think when they ride with you

you get in and put in the key and then flip two of three switches and then a switch with a red cover to fire it up jamminz.gif

I am not an electrial wiz by any stretch of the imagination, but from what I remember of the start switch thing, you need to havea a say to turn the ignition to put the "ignition switch" in the "on" position. Because the ignition switch is manually activated by a rod that comes down from the ignition lock cylinder, you will still need to be able to turn the cyliner. After you turn the cylinder, you need to find the wire that becomes hot when you turn it to the "start" position and your switch will need to go in series from an "ignition on" hot wire to the starter wire.

OK...I gave it a shot...let's see if anyone agrees with me. I know I didn't explain it perfectly, but it works in my head ;) .

As for making switches for all that other stuff...I wouldn't mess with it :shake: . These trucks have enough electrical nightmares of their own without chopping things up like that and asking for more :cheers: .

I am not an electrial wiz by any stretch of the imagination, but from what I remember of the start switch thing, you need to havea a say to turn the ignition to put the "ignition switch" in the "on" position. Because the ignition switch is manually activated by a rod that comes down from the ignition lock cylinder, you will still need to be able to turn the cyliner. After you turn the cylinder, you need to find the wire that becomes hot when you turn it to the "start" position and your switch will need to go in series from an "ignition on" hot wire to the starter wire. .

The problem you describe, is how to get the ignition to activate the starter while having power to the system- 3ed position on the slideswitch is power on if I remember right-4th is starter , 2ed isunlock, 1st is static- backward is unlock/acc- (recheck for rightness- its early )

1 switch for general power to vehicle-battery on-

1 toggle/momentary push button to put power to the relay for the starter- nascar style

it gets complicated the more you add, but the more you add multiplies the "coolness" factor and removes sellability- the old 4x4 toyota I had in 87 had a switch for everything, and when trade-in time came, it was bad...very bad. I think they sent it to the scrapper and gave me minimum for it.

BUT- you have to do 2 things - you must have 1 for power(that you HAvE to remember to turn off), and you have to disable the lock within the column. If the locks disabled, even if you don't have a key-she`ll start with just a little thought.

all the wires are accessable in the lower column switch on the GM style plug- you WILL leave the turn signal/horn/multifunction wires alone...or will have bad dreams...

I don't know all that fan and battery stuff sounds cool, because all my friends from high school all have muscle cars and that its kinda cool :brows: but this truck is for offroad and joy use only it most certainly isn't my daily driver. But I'll keep all that in mind, I have a long way to go today, I'm on my way to work. So maybe by tonight everybody here we'll have a pretty agreed upon answer as to what to do lol

answer

:agree:

I have four switches I got out of a cherokee that I put in place of the four that were around the steering wheel, so if that helps anyone else in my question, I could use those for ignition, battery, and blower etc.

But I guess I shouldnt stray from the actual question, do I have to take the key ignition out to rewire how to start it, etc because my key is in lock position and I have no key, so yeah fastest start up lest amount of work lol 8)

keep it going :cheers: to helping !!

All of the electrical part of the ignition is on the switch which is down lower on the steering column under the dash. If you want things like the radio and dash lights to work, you will have to be able to turn the lock cylinder to move the manaul part of the switch to the "ON" position or find another way to be able to move it without the lock cylinder.

As for starting it...I guess you could just find a constant hot wire and run that to your manual start switch and then to your starter wire so you could start it without needing the ignition switch activated.

Just for the record...I recommend fixing it properly (even though it's a play toy) rather than going through all of this hassle as it seems it would be easier to fix rather than try to go around the issue. :thumbsup:

But I guess I shouldnt stray from the actual question, do I have to take the key ignition out to rewire how to start it, etc because my key is in lock position and I have no key, so yeah fastest start up lest amount of work lol 8)

The simple answer is that Pep Boys sells replacement ignition lock cylinders for around $12 (maybe up to $15 by now, I haven't bought one for a couple of years). Replace the original lock cylinder and you don't have to do any rewiring.

number one is to take out the ignition tumbler...to do that, you have to take the steering column apart and have the original key.

then you should probably fix the broken lock mechanism just because you don't want it to be clicking all the time, nor to lock up on you at speed.

then follow what these guys say. it's a great idea if that's your sort of thing, just do it safely please.