Intermittent wipers and Cruise control.

Wipers are relatively simple - but you will need to partially disassemble the steering column to remove old signal stalk and install the new one. There is also a 4 wire line that needs to be fed down the column for the cruise control.

The cruise control is more problematic. Firstly, the speedometer cable for the cruise control is no longer available, (I have one but I'm using it :roll:). There is a short harness that plugs into the cable from the column, also into the fuse block and a switch that mounts onto the brake pedal assembly. The rest of the harness goes through the firewall and engerizes a vacuum canister/throttle control unit that is mounter high on the engine bay side of the fire wall.

Your best bet is to find a similar model year XJ that had tilt column and cruise...and harvest the entire column, speedometer cable and cruise control system.

Your best bet is to find a similar model year XJ that had tilt column and cruise...and harvest the entire column, speedometer cable and cruise control system.

Does it have to be a 2.5L similar to mine with a 5 speed or can I use one that has a 2.8L V6 with an auto?

Also my column is black, can I use my black pieces off of my old column and use them on the new one with tilt?

I can't really advise you on the 2.5 issue because I've only had experience with the 4.0 installation...but I have seen a 2.8 V6 with the identical cruise control components...perhaps one of the 2.5 guys can weigh in here. I've not seen a manual tranny vehicle with a cruise control.

The shrouds on the tilt steering columns are difficult to remove, however, doing so allows you to check and possibly tighten your tilt section. I have always painted the column shrouds with flat black paint after I get them put of the donor and cleaned up - its much faster.

:cheers: