Light me up!!

I went to replace the top rear tail light bulb on the drivers side and made things worse! :fs1: Now when i turn on my headlights I have no tail lights. My brake lights and turn signals work fine, but my inside dome lights, instrument panel light, tail lights, and backup lights don't work. i checked the fuses and they look fine, not to mention it look like the b/u lights and the turn signals share a fuse. Am I missing something here or what! :huh???:

:USAflag:

Can't remember which side the grounding strap is on, someone will chime in with that I am sure! but if the bulb you replaced was on the side with the grounding strap in the bedside (or it may be on the other side, and the burnt out bulb was hiding a preexisting problem), and the ground strap got disturbed, then it could cause your problem.

Can't remember which side the grounding strap is on, someone will chime in with that I am sure! but if the bulb you replaced was on the side with the grounding strap in the bedside (or it may be on the other side, and the burnt out bulb was hiding a preexisting problem), and the ground strap got disturbed, then it could cause your problem.

The ground is on the side I replaced the bulb. (back drivers side tail light? i gave it a curory check (made sure it was securely connected and followed the line until it dissapeared into the truck body? and it looked ok. I am not sure if there was a pre-existing problem, but I am leaning that way now. it is weird that so many things stopped working. :wall: Any suggestions on where to start? :help:

The ground is on the side I replaced the bulb. (back drivers side tail light? i gave it a curory check (made sure it was securely connected and followed the line until it dissapeared into the truck body? and it looked ok. I am not sure if there was a pre-existing problem, but I am leaning that way now. it is weird that so many things stopped working. :wall: Any suggestions on where to start? :help:

yes, I am 100% sure it is the right bulb and installed correctly. It lights up when i click on the turn signal.

If your sure you used a 2057 (1157) bulb and it's installed correct, not turned 180* and back feeding thru the light switch..........

It never hurts to "re-do" the rear ground, behind the left tail light, with a new ring connector, new larger screw, some paint scraped off, and a dab of dielectric grease covering the connection. This is also the ground for your fuel pump/sender unit, so a better than good ground should be made.

While you were pulling the tail light out to change the bulb, you could have worked some of the tail light harness loose.

There are some crimp connectors in the rear harness, where the runs come off the feed and it's a pita to pull all the wiring out and check all the crimps, Do that as a last resort.

There is also a connector just inside the rear pan, about 4" in, on the left side, that could have some corrosion in it, pull it apart, and check, any thing looking green.......no good. Use some contact cleaner in the connector, and apply some dielectric grease when re-connecting.

Here's a link to the fuse panel-

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Ele ... cation.htm

The more I re-read your post, as a last item, your headlight switch could be starting to go south, and time for a replacement.

yes, I am 100% sure it is the right bulb and installed correctly. It lights up when i click on the turn signal.

If your sure you used a 2057 (1157) bulb and it's installed correct, not turned 180* and back feeding thru the light switch..........

It never hurts to "re-do" the rear ground, behind the left tail light, with a new ring connector, new larger screw, some paint scraped off, and a dab of dielectric grease covering the connection. This is also the ground for your fuel pump/sender unit, so a better than good ground should be made.

While you were pulling the tail light out to change the bulb, you could have worked some of the tail light harness loose.

There are some crimp connectors in the rear harness, where the runs come off the feed and it's a pita to pull all the wiring out and check all the crimps, Do that as a last resort.

There is also a connector just inside the rear pan, about 4" in, on the left side, that could have some corrosion in it, pull it apart, and check, any thing looking green.......no good. Use some contact cleaner in the connector, and apply some dielectric grease when re-connecting.

Here's a link to the fuse panel-

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Ele ... cation.htm

The more I re-read your post, as a last item, your headlight switch could be starting to go south, and time for a replacement.