temp sensor location

My son changed the dash cluster from a 91xj parts vehicle that we have, into the mj for the full gauge package. We had run the xj first to make sure the gauges all worked fine. After doing the swap the temp gauge does not work. we swapped the sending unit from the xj to use. The question about the location of the sending unit for the gauge, it is the one in the thermostat housing isn't it, or is this one just to control the electric fans?

My son changed the dash cluster from a 91xj parts vehicle that we have, into the mj for the full gauge package. We had run the xj first to make sure the gauges all worked fine. After doing the swap the temp gauge does not work. we swapped the sending unit from the xj to use. The question about the location of the sending unit for the gauge, it is the one in the thermostat housing isn't it, or is this one just to control the electric fans?

What year is the MJ?

For all years of the MJ the sender for the gauge is the one at the back corner of the head. For 1991 and newer, the sender in the thermostat housing sends data to the ECU.

Okay, the '91 cluster should be correct. The temperature sender you need to replace is the one at the back of the head, as shown in the photo posted above in this thread. And you'll need to replace the oil pressure sender, which can come from the donor XJ. Everything else will be plug-n-play -- except for resetting the odometer, and I think you have to take it to a speedometer shop to have that done. I'm not even sure if dealers can do it.

Okay, the '91 cluster should be correct. The temperature sender you need to replace is the one at the back of the head, as shown in the photo posted above in this thread. And you'll need to replace the oil pressure sender, which can come from the donor XJ. Everything else will be plug-n-play -- except for resetting the odometer, and I think you have to take it to a speedometer shop to have that done. I'm not even sure if dealers can do it.

Speedometer shop... :eek: I have never seen one of those.. Is that a for real place? I know Ive never seen one around here...

Thanks Eagle! Those aren't to far away from me... Esp the one in Charlotte. I never knew........... I'd like to get my speedo calibrated. I know its slower then what I'm really going..... I asked a friend of mine(city cop) to clock me, but he usually works the graveyard shift...