Growling in 4wd

When I put my truck in 4wd the transfer case (maybe the front axle) :dunno: starts to make a fairly loud and nasty growling noise, It goes away when I am not on the gas but comes back if the gears start to slow the truck down at all. I hear it very faintly (read: very) on my other np242 xjs and on my sisters np231 XJ, but not anywhere near as loud, But they are autos with AW4 so I am not sure if that makes a difference. I need the truck for DD now and cannot have the 4wd going out while driving in winter. What do you guys think the problem could be?

I would first suspect the axle... but you are correct, it could be either. You need to find out.

Dissconnect and plug all vac lines at the CAD. Put truck in 4WD and go for a ride and listen. Doing this will NOT allow the CAD to operate and engage the front axle, so any noise herd will be coming from the T-Case.

BTW, when is the last time you checked/changed the diff oils in your axles?

CW

BTW, when is the last time you checked/changed the diff oils in your axles?

CW

...or checked the fluid in the t-case. I had one go dry on me, but never saw any sign of leaking... :dunno: . I didn't catch it in time and grenaded the case though :wall: .