Thinking about a plasma...

DirtyComanche

I'm thinking about buying a plasma. I think it would make me happy.

So, I looked at the chinese ones that certain vendors on pirate are selling here, and I'm definatly not sold. Maybe they're fine. But, it's a huge hassel to me if they aren't once you throw in cross-border shipping and everything else. That and the vendors were somethat less than professional. I can also get what looks to be an identical unit locally from the chinese tool dealer, but it's enough money that buying a reputabile machine seems to make more sense.

So, I think I'd rather get one of these:

-Miller Spectrum 375

-ESAB HandyPlasma 380

-Hypertherm Powermax 30

Has anyone here used any of them, or own one? Or have any comments to make? They're all fairly comparable in capability. The hypertherm doesn't have a built in regulator - not a big deal. However, I think it might have the nicest torch as far as being able to see what you're doing. I own a MM 180, and lean towards the miller on that alone. But the ESAB machine might be a better deal. Granted, I haven't managed to get a local quote on any of them yet...

I went with the torchmate cutmaster 80 When it was time to get one. It's a great machine. If your going to get one do it right the first time and get a quality machine. Stay away from the mexican and chinese crap. My buddy has the miller and it's also a quality maching. I really don't know to much about the other 2 brands you have listed or have any personal expreience with them.

I use a hypertherm powermax, I forget the number though. My father bought it 8-10 years ago. Doesn't get used everyday, but we've used it a fair amount and really havent had any problems.

I used a miller where I used to work. I forget the model though (haven't worked there in a while). It was pretty solid. I'd stand behind anything miller makes.... I have a handful of miller welding machines.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/pla ... 5_x-treme/

Miller 375 Extreme

Excellent machine. We have one of these at the shop and also a big Hypertherm. I really enjoy using the Miller. When I buy one, that will be my choice. It is compact and cuts beautifully. I have hardly used any consumables at all with it, and I use it every day. I have also cut 1/2" steel plate with it. Although it was slow, it made a nice clean cut. By far the easiest plasma I have ever used.

Hmmmm, I was thinking television :thwak: . Sorry, never used one, but would love to own one. Keep us informed about what you get and how you like it.

HA HA HA HA HA HA Me too!!! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: I was all set to suggest a LCD instead!!!

Sorry man, we have a Miller at work.. but I haven't touched it. They guy that runs that dept always does anything I ask for me... guess he likes to do it?

CW

I cannot offer much tech on plasmas, and have no knowledge of brand names.

that said, I frequently use one at work to cut stainless....it rocks.

I also have a 220 volt one from my grandpa's shop here, and it seems to have conveniently become mine :brows: since he's retired. I forget the brand name, but it's rated to 3/8" thick steel. it's pretty sweet.

plasma allowed me to do this

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

it's really damn convenient.

my greatest advice...save up, and go big right off the bat. a less capable plasma will leave you wanting, just like a stock jeep will. you'll wish you could cut thicker with it than it's rated for. so, spend the $$$ now and use the hell out of it.

-Pat

I can't see going any thicker than 3/8" for much. Which all of those are rated to cut. Most of them will sever in the 1/2" area. I use 1/8" and 3/16" more than most thicknesses. 1/4" for link brackets... I figure that's a decent match for my MM 180s capabilities for welding.

But, I could be wrong.

my dad bought a miller one, it nice runs on 110 or 220. pete and i used it to cut a cherokee in half in canada. that was fun.

last time i tried to use it tho it wouldn't work right so i don't know whats up with it. need to get it looked at