231 Transfer Case

I have recently replaced my 207 transfer case with a 231. Now I cannot get the truck to engage in 4 wheel drive. The transfer case engages and the drive shaft will spin but there is not engagement in the pumpkin/housing. I removed the coverplate and drained the gear oil and there were no metal shavings to indicate the bearings where damaged.

Could it be something with the diff case? Any suggestions, please let me know!

Behind this cover on the passenger side of the axle is your CAD (central axle disconnect). Inside is a little fork that slides a collar over to engage the passenger side axleshaft. Jeep, in all their wisdom, came up with this problematic contraption to try and save some gas (which it doesn't). There are a couple of methods to keep the fork engaged all the time and should fix your problem. That's what this link was for:

---> viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12795

When you pull the cover, it will be obvious which way it needs to go, but it is to the left (driver side) so the collar will permanently keep the two shafts connected. Everything else will operate as it always did. :cheers:

:cheers: Just want to say I did what you said to do and it works great! thanks alot for the help! But what would make it not slide over? Anyway on mine it has vacuum hose's that go to it and I traced them and they went up into hood. I took some pics to show I have to up load them. Again, thanks alot :bowdown:

Probably the vacuum line is broken or when you swapped in the new t-case something didn't line up right or maybe the fork or the little vacuum shifter was sticking in place. Either way, if you do the mod to keep the collar slid over all the time, you won't need the vacuum lines anymore. :thumbsup:

No, shimming the CAD won't hurt anything. It makes it like you've got a one-piece axle shaft on the passenger side, that's all. No Jeep since '95 has had a CAD and they all work fine. :D

Just don't drive around on dry pavement in 4wd. That's bad no matter what.

Probably the vacuum line is broken or when you swapped in the new t-case something didn't line up right or maybe the fork or the little vacuum shifter was sticking in place. Either way, if you do the mod to keep the collar slid over all the time, you won't need the vacuum lines anymore. :thumbsup:

He got a late-model 231 from an XJ with the electric speedometer. That means it came from one of the years that didn't use the front axle disconnect, so the transfer case has no port to actuate the vacuum to the the disconnect.

What I can't figure out is how the transfer case went into an '86. The '86 was a 21-spline, the newer one should be a 23-spline. Bigmrec34, did you swap only the transfer case, or did you swap the transfer case and transmission together?

When I frist bought the jeep it had a bad transmission and it came with one in the back of the truck so I swaped them out and put that in the jeep which still had the 207 t-case and down the road the t-case went bad on me so I got a 231 which was a 23spline like the 207 was but like I said the 207 was a cable speedo and the 231 is not

The 231 is capable of taking a cable speedo, you just need to get one from a cable 231 (87-90). Of course, I'm assuming that the 207 one won't fit in there. I've never checked. You might need to swap the plastic gears on it though. Some years had long ones and some short.

When I frist bought the jeep it had a bad transmission and it came with one in the back of the truck so I swaped them out and put that in the jeep which still had the 207 t-case and down the road the t-case went bad on me so I got a 231 which was a 23spline like the 207 was but like I said the 207 was a cable speedo and the 231 is not

The 207 was not a 23-spline box, it was a 21-spline box.

I'm still confused. My age must be catching up with me. Sorry. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain in the corner ...