EFFIN GREMLINS! Weird ones....

So yesterday i went to start my truck and nothing, all i got was a weak buzzing sound like my battery was near dead, even though i know its not, so i turned the key again and same thing, so i turned it back again and tried to start it again, this time i held it forward for a few extra seconds and the batt gauge jumped up and my truck started. then later that night, i went to start it and same thing just a weak buzzing sound, so i turned on my headlights on so i could see the gauges and when i turned the key it started right up. then this morning, same deal turn the key only get buzzing. this time though while i was turning the key i turned on the headlights and sure enough the batt gauge jumped and my truck started right up. Now while the truck is running, all of my lights, thats headlights,tail lights,interior lights, and the face of my radio have a slight flicker to them, its faint but you can see it. needless to say I'm a bit stumped. i havent had the time yet to really dig into it, but if anyone has any suggestions i would love to hear them. Thanks

Erik :beerhead:

edit: i never thought to check my aux lights :doh:

Sounds like a big loss of ground issue. Start at the battery and work your way through the grounds making sure they are all clean & tight.

I posted a link to a .PDF file of the Electrical Manual in the DIY forum if you wish to download it and us it to help.

That's a very good question...and one that my limited knowledge of electrical issues prevents me from answering :oops:

I do know from personal experience that these trucks are insanely sensitive to ground issues. I would do a little checking of the wires on the ignition switch under the dash on the steering column as they are know for having bad/deteriorating connections.

Yeah, i had my ignition switch go bad before, thats was horrible. i was stopped at a red light at a busy intersection in rush hour traffic when it died. that the truch would only run for about 23-30 seconds at a time before dying again, so i had to leap frog the whole way home, it was rather annoying.

Faulty grounds can do all sorts of weird things. I would also check all battery cable connections as well. You do have a ground strap from the engine to the frame, don't you?

Honestly thats something i never looked into as far as the grounding strap goes. And as far as the flickering lights go, the bad groung makes perfect sense, but it still doesnt explain why i have to turn on my headlights to start my truck.

If there is a faulty ground or the lack of a ground, something in the starting system may be grounding through the headlight circuit, which I don't believe runs through the ignition switch, meaning that the power to the lights is not cut off in the start position. If this is the case it could end up frying some wires, depending on the amount of current being pulled though the circuit.

Clear as mud?

I may be way out there though :dunno:

Moisture build up between the post and clamp creates lead oxide paste (if you wipe your finger across it, it leaves a grey film on your finger) That is one of the worst things to pass power through. Once it warms up, the moisture drys and contact is resumed.

Buff the post clean and the inside of the clamps before re-tightening and the probs should disappear. Best way to find it is to hold the key towards start, then quickly check for hot spots (carefully! I have burnt myself a time or two with this "resistance produces heat" test!)

Moisture build up between the post and clamp creates lead oxide paste (if you wipe your finger across it, it leaves a grey film on your finger) That is one of the worst things to pass power through. Once it warms up, the moisture drys and contact is resumed.

Buff the post clean and the inside of the clamps before re-tightening and the probs should disappear. Best way to find it is to hold the key towards start, then quickly check for hot spots (carefully! I have burnt myself a time or two with this "resistance produces heat" test!)

Well i know the terminals arent completely corroded, but that moisture build up would make sense since this didnt happen until our first day below freezing here.....