electric fan runs very slowly

My electric fan went out a few years ago so I put a jumper wire on a toggle switch so I can turn it on and off while inside the trusty Comanche. Lately it's been running increasing slower,I've read the thread on the ac/cooling wiring system but I'm not good at dealing with electrical issue's. I'm thinking the fan motor may be on it's way out or not. If someone could walk me through the problem using idiot guide terms that would be great.

Thanks,

Mike

If you are running your fan thru a switch w/o a relay, it's a disaster waiting to happen. Sounds like it's started. First, check the voltage at the fan while running. It should read close to battery voltage after startup (12-14 VDC). If it does, the fan needs to be replaced. If the voltage is reading lower than that, like less than 10V, your fan switch wiring and/or switch is deteriorating and impeding the full 12V+ to the fan, thus lowering the fan speed. If this is the case, you need to rewire the fan thru a relay which should have been done in the first place. There are plenty of threads here to show how to wire a high amp draw device, like your fan, using a relay.

I don't have any other electrical problems other then the slow running fan. I'll look for some of the threads and rework the setup I have. I'd like to go back to stock ,I inherited this problem from the previous owner that told me he had just put in a new radiator because he was having fan problems.

Thanks for the help

So is the reason that you are using a manual switch because the new radiator doesn't have the temp switch in it to turn the fan on?

If so, you should get a SPAL fan controller and get it wired up to work as it is intended. The SPAL controllers are adjustable so that you can set them to come on and shut of at the proper temp for your truck. I put one in my truck when I cahnged the radiator and I used a newer style ('91 +) t-stat housing to put a temp switch in to run the fan...works great :cheers:

The fan never worked but I didn't know that until the temp gauge came on. The radiator does have a temp switch,I replace the a/c relay and it still didn't work, that's why I wired it the way I did. I just now bare wired it back to the a/c socket and crammed the relay into the socket and the fan is running at normal speed again. I would rather have it wired as stock but there is 3 or 4 variables that could be the problem.As I said I'm not the best when it comes to electrical problems.

As I said I'm not the best when it comes to electrical problems.
Neither am I so I avoid any in depth issues and only "try" to help on the ones that I believe that I have something worth saying.

Anyway...I'm glad to hear that it is at least running properly for you again. :D

Thanks buddy.Changed out the rear diff lube and I really wish I would have done that along time ago.At lease now it's filled with fresh Mobil 1 and ready for winter.It's great when you can get your hands on a low mile (under 60K)Comanche but the down side is the long periods of time just setting.

Later,

Mike