Installing RE bumpstops

This is a pretty straight forward install but there are a few tricks that the instructions don't touch on. This is for Rubicon Express 2in bumpstops on the front axle but should work for others. Kit basically has 4 parts. The 2 bumpstops and 2 self threading bolts.

First you need to jack up your Jeep, remove the tires and put it up on jackstands so you can allow the axle to droop all the way down. I recommend to also unbolt the shocks and swaybar links to get that little bit extra droop so you can remove your springs.

Once your springs are out you will be drilling a hole into the spring pad. The RE kit was a 5/16 but use what ever your kit calls for.

Now take the self threading bolt and start threading it through. I'd recommend using your biggest ratchet to make this easier and also backing it out a couple of times to clear the metal shavings. Make sure you are straight. You can use the bumpstop to help keep it aligned but I found it hard to tell what your doing. Just take your time. Once you have it threaded, remove the bolt and you should see about 2 or 3 threads cut into the hole.

Your now ready to put things back together. Take the bumpstop and put it inside the spring. Hold it while you work the spring back into place.

Put the bolt in and work your ratchet onto the bolt. It's a little tricky and you will probably have to put the ratchet in first without the socket attached. Now tighten the bolt but make sure you do not over torque it. With only 2 to 3 threads, it will strip out easily.

Re-attach anything that you unbolted, put your tires back on, and take it off the jackstands. Your done. :clapping:

If you do happen to strip out the hole, you can either get a bigger self threading bolt or use a bolt with a nut on the bottom side(ask me how I know :doh: ).

:cheers:

If you do happen to strip out the hole, you can either get a bigger self threading bolt or use a bolt with a nut on the bottom side(ask me how I know :doh: ).

:cheers:

As I was reading through I was thinking to myself I should recommend using a nut on the bottom side of the spring mount :D I always over-engineer everything

• 1 year later...