Jeeper Bunny...

BLHTAZ

Well...we have a new rabbit in foster care with us now. The black & white one (Cookie) that I showed the video of a while back has been adopted.

This new one (Cinnabunny) is a young male that loves his Jeep bandanna... :D

I have a holland lop. love it, need to have him fixed though. He keeps humping the dog. He is house trained, and I finally got him to stop chewing on stuff. Now we are working on making him friendly and cuddly. Figure if we keep holding him and petting him he will get used to it.

if you have any suggestions on getting them more tame let me know. We are already planning on having him fixed, once I can fid a vet that will admit that you can in fact have a rabbit fixed.

Yeah...you MUST have them fixed and it does take a Rabbit knowledgeable Vet to do it. Having them fixed does calm them down some, but Holland Lops are VERY stubborn and most do not like to be picked up/held. Some tolerate it better than others, but ours (Peanut) just goes crazy when you try to pick him up. He will lay beside you on the couch, floor or most anywhere and let you scratch & rub all day, but don't try to cuddle him... :no: . Peanut has free run of the house and is completely litter box trained, but that only happens after they are fixed. If they are not fixed, they will "mark" all over the house trying to attract a mate. I don't know how old your rabbit is, but that has some to do with how much you will be able to tame it and make it cuddly. Be diligent and keep trying, but remember that when a lop gets something in it head...the chances of changing their ways is not good.

Don't know if you have tried any of these places, but CLICK HERE for some vets that I found searching for rabbit friendly vets on Google.

yea, he is a bit stubborn. you can corner him and pet him, occasionally he will come to you. He is pretty playful though. I need to call a few more vets, I actually had to go out to petsmart to get flea medicine, the other two vets I tried closer to base did not even acknowledge that you could take rabbits to a vet.

Rabbits NEED to see a Vet at least every couple months for regular check ups. Their teeth can grow too long and Prevent them from eating and need to be watched...a vet can grind them down. Lops also need to have their ears checked and all rabbits have scent glands on either side of their genitals that need to be cleaned regularly as well.

We do all of this stuff ourselves and give then some wooden chew toys to keep their teeth in shape, but the scent gland cleaning can be an offensive odiferous job :ack:

yea, he came with flees, so he has been getting a pretty thorough bath once a month. He has a couple wooden blocks and a stone to work his teeth on. I think we might take him out to petsmart today. I usually do not like their vets office (at least the one we had in Raleigh) but I was pretty impressed by the one here.

I have had a couple different rabbits growing up, to include fluffy the attack rabbit. He was a Big lop that lived on the back porch. Had to start feeding the cats elsewhere cause he would not let them eat. It was his porch. Little guy would even jump up and sit on the railing.

Be careful giving him a bath as they are not supposed to get wet unless absolutely necessary as they are incredibly susceptible to illness. If a bath is needed, be sure to thoroughly dry him ASAP. We use half of a cat size dose of flea control on ours once about every 3 months and have no issues.

• 2 weeks later...
got bored here on TDY, here are some pictures of Othello the attack bunny. My wife named him after the Shakespeare character, however since he is also white and black the board game fits too.

I can see why he's called an attack rabbit with those evil looking eyes. :cheers: