Dumb ?, Where do you hook/tie the wires for driving lights

run your positive throught your grill along the drivers side of the engine bay and put it throught the EcU harness grommet on fire wall to your sitch and grouhd the switch on your lights on the bar and use the radio positive whichis red as your primary power make sure to insulate :wrench:

Additional driving and/or fog lights should ALWAYS be controlled through a relay. The below is a wiring schematic showing how you can add fog or driving lights using the existing dash harness thru the firewall to the 10-pin forward bulkhead connector. This can be adapted for bumper/bull bar/roll bar mounted lights.

Image Not Found

Keep in mind the difference between "fog" lights and "driving" lights. By Federal (and many states') law, "driving" lights may be on only with the high beams, and MUST shut off automatically when you dip the headlights to low beam. They cannot operate when you only have the parking lights on.

"Fog" lights are the opposite. They MUST shut off when you flip the headlights to high beam, but they may operate when you only have the parking lights on.

Which means you need a bit more than a toggle switch and a relay to control them properly.

Dayem Eagle, what took you so long for the reminder? :D

DISCLAIMER: Check your local and fed regs for compliance, Eagle is correct of course regarding the regs. My post was meant to be a means of wiring additional lights thru a somewhat more substantial and safer method than "grabbing your radio RED hot wire and just parallel the connection to the additional lights" or whatever the previous poster said. :nuts: I'd rather see compliance to proper wiring techniques completed to prevent a dash harness meltdown than compliance with a seldom enforced fed or local law. And if you really want/need to comply to the fog/driving lights only activated at LOW headlamp, simply use the existing feed to the fog lamp switch that controls the relay coil instead of using a 12V ign. switched feed.

Hornbrod -

I studied your diagram and I couldn't see where it routes power for the relay control feed through the headlight circuit. After reading your post three times, I figured out that you're assuming there is an existing fog light harnbess in the vehicle to tap into. Dunno what they did in 1991, but in the AMC years the fog light harness was not included. If you added fog lights later, you had to buy the complete harness, or make your own. And the factory harness worked for FOG lights, but was backwards for driving lights. This thread asked about "driving" lights.

I was interpreting the original post in this thread as meaning that there isn't a harness already in the vehicle, so the OP is starting from scratch.

Hornbrod -

I studied your diagram and I couldn't see where it routes power for the relay control feed through the headlight circuit. After reading your post three times, I figured out that you're assuming there is an existing fog light harnbess in the vehicle to tap into. Dunno what they did in 1991, but in the AMC years the fog light harness was not included. If you added fog lights later, you had to buy the complete harness, or make your own. And the factory harness worked for FOG lights, but was backwards for driving lights. This thread asked about "driving" lights.

I was interpreting the original post in this thread as meaning that there isn't a harness already in the vehicle, so the OP is starting from scratch.

The fog light wired switch connector is present in the dash cavity. The switch connector is already wired to turn off the fog lights when it receives 12V from the high beams (the VIO/WHT wire). This wire was not shown in my drawing. I chose to remove it and wire in my own 12 source thru the switch so I can turn the fog lights on when I wanted them on (Yes, I know, illegal :eek: ). A new fog light switch must be added and plugged in. The output of the switch is also already there in the harness (BRN/WHT wire), and terminates on pin 10 of the 10-pin fwd. bulkhead connector. Everything after pin 10 to the fog lights has to be added; the relay, wiring, and of course the lights themselves. I made my own fog light harness, you are correct, there is no fog light harness present. I only used the existing wiring present from the fog light switch to the bulkhead connector.

I realize the OP was asking about driving lights, but of course this circuit can be used to control them also. Hope this makes sense now......