2wd-4wd conversion questions

I have a 92 2wd 5speed short bed and a 85 4wd long bed 5speed, i was thinking it would be better wheeling the short bed because of the wheelbase. I don't have either of these trucks with me right now as i'm in college. Does anyone know the specs of these truck so that i can start planning to convert the 92 short bed to 4wd? Any other info or recommendations would be greatly apprieciated. Thanx in advance for any help!!

I think your 85 is an 86 (first production year, and they were all longbeds). What engines are in each? Depending on the drivetrain, you may be able to use some of the 86 on the 92 (tranny, transfercase, driveshafts, front axle). If they are dissimilar, you might be better off keeping the 86 intact and sourcing conversion parts from somewhere else...depends on how involved you want to get.

It's not difficult to convert 2 to 4WD, if you've got the right combo of parts.

BTW, where ya from? Welcome to the club :)

Jeff

edit: ahhh, New Hampshire....I see it now.

Well here's the full story, i don't currently have the long bed, i'm gonna go pick it up next weekend so i'm not sure exactly what it is(it's free), my friend said it was a 85 and i think he might have said it was an 88 at one point so i'm really not sure what it is, he did say it was a four cylinder, not sure of the displacement. I'm not to sure of the engine in the 92, i haven't had any interest in it until now because it was a 2wd, but now that i know that it's pretty cheap and easy to convert, i'm starting my research, I think the 92 is a 4.0 but i'm not 2 sure. Sorry i wish i had more information, as soon as i know the info for sure i'll post it.

Well, at worst, you can swap both axles from the 86 to the 92 (they might have better gears). If the engines are different, I'd pretty much bet the 2WD rear axle ratio is gonna be different than the 4 cylinder axles. That negates the easy/quick swap of just the front axles so you'll have to swap both front and rear.

Assuming the 92 is a 4.0L, it'll be a H.O. engine w/ an AX15 behind it (very nice combo), but you'll need a 4WD AX15 (the 2.5L 4WD tranny in the 86-if that's what it turns out to be-won't work very easily behind a 4.o, or proabaly last too long either). Your TC probably won't work as it is behind an AX15 either because the input gear is 21 spline and the AX15 output is 23. You can find a 23 spline input and tear the case apart and swap it in to make it work, tho. You can use all of the 4WD linkage/shifter assembly except for one rod that connects the underside of the cab lever to the TC...they come in 3 different lengths depending on which trans they are behind. You'll just need one for an AX15 (I might have one in my box-o-parts you can have).

If you reuse your 86's front axle you'll have all the vaccuum disconnect crap to rig up if you want to, so you'll need an older TC with the vaccuum switch on it, or reuse your 86's like mentioned above. Or you could simply bypass the disconnect motor and lock the pass shafts together full time and not fool with that at all....there are several methods of doing this.

Just throwing out some "maybes" for you at this point. Once you get more specs on both rigs, let the group know and you can get some specific advice to help you git 'er done!

Jeff

• 1 year later...