street MJ

Ok, I have started looking for a set of Moabs for project: Street Comanche. I think they will look great on a lightly lowered comanche. On top of that I was cleaning out my outbuilding and found a box or two of parts that I thought were sitting in my trail rig 700mi away. It turns out that I also have a wj brake setup handy, it has the spindals, brackets and calipers all there. Now for the questions:

If I swap everything over, does anybody happen to know if the stock drag link and tie rod will still work, I will need a set of unit bearings since the 2wd manche I have looks like it uses normal wheel bearings. I would just get a set of 1991 or so hubs and run with those, I will also need a set of spacers made to go between the bearings and the spindal. I think the rotors I want are from a 2004 ford explorer sportrac. I will get new lower balljoints and WJ uppers, wj Pads. Does anybody else happen to know what I will need? I don't need to run high steering since it will be a street rod, which changes it up from the normal design.

thanks for the input, and when thsi gets done it will become a writeup, so I thought it could stay here.

Picks of the current setup

• 4 weeks later...

not much done, I switched to the newer door seals, got them off an 01 in the yard for $5.

have most of my wj brake parts cleaned up, just need to paint them. Had to put a new starter on a week ago. THe PO had apparently changed the solenoid, but instead of putting it back on with the 3 required bolts, they put it back on with 1 wood screw...

hopefully the 2500 parts will come in soon...

I have a set of cut 2WD front coil springs in my shed. They are approx. 1-1/2 to 2" lower than stock 2WD springs. I lowered my MJ and mounted up some 16" Jeep wheels with low profile tires (225-50-16's in the front, 245-50-16's in the rear) and had a ball for a while driving it back and forth to work. The MJ is lifted and 4WD now, but I still have the front springs. If you want them, it would only cost you shipping.

A.

I have a set of cut 2WD front coil springs in my shed. They are approx. 1-1/2 to 2" lower than stock 2WD springs. I lowered my MJ and mounted up some 16" Jeep wheels with low profile tires (225-50-16's in the front, 245-50-16's in the rear) and had a ball for a while driving it back and forth to work. The MJ is lifted and 4WD now, but I still have the front springs. If you want them, it would only cost you shipping.

A.

PM sent. What did you do for the back? I was just gonna run with a set of drop blocks. They are not quite as crucial as using them for lift.

That is what I did. I ran a set of 1.5" drop blocks that I made out of a solid chunk of steel. I would still make sure you use good steel blocks for this. The MJ (and XJ) springs just have too much flex for any aluminum blocks to last. I also installed a set of stock XJ shackles for a little more drop (maybe 1/2"). As well, I changed out all of the leaf spring bushings to polyurethane for better handling.

A.

PM sent. What did you do for the back? I was just gonna run with a set of drop blocks. They are not quite as crucial as using them for lift.

That is what I did. I ran a set of 1.5" drop blocks that I made out of a solid chunk of steel. I would still make sure you use good steel blocks for this. The MJ (and XJ) springs just have too much flex for any aluminum blocks to last. I also installed a set of stock XJ shackles for a little more drop (maybe 1/2"). As well, I changed out all of the leaf spring bushings to polyurethane for better handling.

A.

Yea, I am hoping to ind a good set of blocks local. The other plus is that I have a nice set of sensa-tracs for an XJ, a buddy gave them to me after using them for about 1k miles. With the drop they should fit about right. Have to work on the rears to get them to fit. I had it up on a lift at the hobby shop today, rear joint is trash, I got to run and get a ujoint tomorrow. I also found the sources of a couple of squeaks on the drive up too, so Ill grab some rubber paper to make the new bushings to go under the dash. Then I will just need some new window sashes the the interior should sound worlds better.

you got to love a last minute TDY. Lets you find all the stuff that you should have done BEFORE any major Road trip, AFTER you are already there. At least they gave me about 18hrs notice, and the base I am at now has a nicer hobby shop.

Yea, I am hoping to ind a good set of blocks local. The other plus is that I have a nice set of sensa-tracs for an XJ, a buddy gave them to me after using them for about 1k miles. With the drop they should fit about right. Have to work on the rears to get them to fit. I had it up on a lift at the hobby shop today, rear joint is trash, I got to run and get a ujoint tomorrow. I also found the sources of a couple of squeaks on the drive up too, so Ill grab some rubber paper to make the new bushings to go under the dash. Then I will just need some new window sashes the the interior should sound worlds better.

you got to love a last minute TDY. Lets you find all the stuff that you should have done BEFORE any major Road trip, AFTER you are already there. At least they gave me about 18hrs notice, and the base I am at now has a nicer hobby shop.

montgomery, AL. Nice base really. Just not really a high class town if you can pick up what I am putting down.

I guess I'm not a high class guy like you, 'cause I can't pick up what you're putting down. Care to explain?? :nuts:

the part of town that the base is in is fairly run down. Should have specified a bit more. I have had to stop right outside of base for some stuff a few times, just did not seem like the best part of town, just the general vibe I got. I don't get nervous very easily, but I was pretty sketched out in those areas. Maxwell is also the only base I have been to out of the 6 or so recently that actually scan your ID card instead of just looking, I read something into that, but I could be wrong.

Sorry if I tweeked you hornbrod, didnt mean to offend if you are from the area.

back on topic: hopefully when I head back up that way for class on monday I will have a set of xj shackles as well to drop the rear with.

the part of town that the base is in is fairly run down. Should have specified a bit more. I have had to stop right outside of base for some stuff a few times, just did not seem like the best part of town, just the general vibe I got. I don't get nervous very easily, but I was pretty sketched out in those areas. Maxwell is also the only base I have been to out of the 6 or so recently that actually scan your ID card instead of just looking, I read something into that, but I could be wrong.

Sorry if I tweeked you hornbrod, didnt mean to offend if you are from the area.

No offense Wolfpack, now that you mention it. That is a pretty crusty area just outside the main gate. :eek: