Factory front grill color?

Not positive as there are questionable things about the first year MJ's (1986)

But I am going to say its going to depend on trim package.

Some where like Pat just described, while others where all black and lastly some where black and chrome.

Not to mention they had 10 slots until the 1990 year,(Some 1989's as well) when they went to 8 slots. Don't ask me why as we all know Jeep is known to have 7 slots....

Paint it as you like. Rustoleum and others offer some "PLASTIC" specific paint. I would like to try it. But Reg Rustoleum has worked just fine for ever...

I just finished masking out a old all black grill I had in the Garage. Its gonna get sprayed the same blue as the body. But I am leaving the grill inserts black. Don't know how it will look. Guess I'll know when its done. ;)

CW

Paint it as you like. Rustoleum and others offer some "PLASTIC" specific paint. I would like to try it. But Reg Rustoleum has worked just fine for ever...

Krylon Fusion hasn't failed me yet. That's what I used to paint the gauge surround on Baby. I also use it a lot for model cars. It is a lil pricey at around $3-$4 a can, but I like the results it gives me. I also spray a couple coats of clear over it, and it really brings out the shine nicely.

Not to mention they had 10 slots until the 1990 year,(Some 1989's as well) when they went to 8 slots. Don't ask me why as we all know Jeep is known to have 7 slots....

AFAIK, from 88+ they had 8 slots. The last year for the 10 slot was 1987. My '87 had the 10, and my current '88 has the 8 slot.

Not positive as there are questionable things about the first year MJ's (1986)

But I am going to say its going to depend on trim package.

Some where like Pat just described, while others where all black and lastly some where black and chrome.

Correct. My 87 Pioneer grille is all chrome. The 88 Chief is all black, as is the 88 SporTruck. The 88 XJ Pioneer grille is black with silver painted (or light grey, or "argent") accents.

Take your pick, unless you're aiming for a historically-accurate restoration.

AFAIK, from 88+ they had 8 slots. The last year for the 10 slot was 1987. My '87 had the 10, and my current '88 has the 8 slot.

This type of thing is ALWAYS the case with jeep. Someone ALWAYS has something someone else says they shouldn't based on the year. I have a 1987 with a 8 slot, now I KNOW it didnt come form the factory like that. I didnt put it on there either. I have had three 88's and all had the 10 slot. I have also had three 89's and they all had 8 slots. This is in NO WAY the rule. But you can see how confusing it can be and I have only mentioned 7-8 vehicles.

Let me just remind everyone for the UMTEENTH time. Our trucks are are least 17 years old. I don't know of anyone on here who bought one new. SO, other people have had there hands on them. Making changes we may not realize or would have no possible way of knowing.

Not to mention Jeep is DOCUMENTED to have used what ever was avalible for parts. Ford stuff, Dodge stuff and Cheby stuff... yup, its ALL there, somewhere in the Jeep line.

:roll: :D

CW

I don't know of anyone on here who bought one new.

I bought mine new! :waving:

89 with an 8 slot grill. According to the 90 brochure I have, the SporTruck and base LB got the black grill, the Pioneer got the black & argent grill and the Eliminator of course got the color matched grill.

I don't know of anyone on here who bought one new.

I bought mine new! :waving:

89 with an 8 slot grill. According to the 90 brochure I have, the SporTruck and base LB got the black grill, the Pioneer got the black & argent grill and the Eliminator of course got the color matched grill.

X2 89 pioneer package and it also has 8 slots jamminz.gif

This type of thing is ALWAYS the case with jeep. Someone ALWAYS has something someone else says they shouldn't based on the year. I have a 1987 with a 8 slot, now I KNOW it didnt come form the factory like that. I didnt put it on there either. I have had three 88's and all had the 10 slot. I have also had three 89's and they all had 8 slots. This is in NO WAY the rule. But you can see how confusing it can be and I have only mentioned 7-8 vehicles.

Let me just remind everyone for the UMTEENTH time. Our trucks are are least 17 years old. I don't know of anyone on here who bought one new. SO, other people have had there hands on them. Making changes we may not realize or would have no possible way of knowing.

Not to mention Jeep is DOCUMENTED to have used what ever was avalible for parts. Ford stuff, Dodge stuff and Cheby stuff... yup, its ALL there, somewhere in the Jeep line.

:roll: :D

CW

Well my '87, I was the second owner. The original owner was my neighbor and he took excellent care of it. All of the 88+'s of Cherokee/Comanche's I've seen have all been 8 slots. I remember reading this on a article a while back as well...doubt I'll be able to find the link though. Who knows for sure though.