Transmission woes

Will a new modulator on my trans help with shifts? They are ho-hum. New filter, fluid. It only downshifts when I want mash the pedal to the floor, and if/when it wants.Going up hills it will get to 25mph and no upshift......keep in mind 200,000miles plus 4x4 and such. Its tired, but I feel something is not right.

Will a new modulator on my trans help with shifts? They are ho-hum. New filter, fluid. It only downshifts when I want mash the pedal to the floor, and if/when it wants.Going up hills it will get to 25mph and no upshift......keep in mind 200,000miles plus 4x4 and such. Its tired, but I feel something is not right.

Do you have the POWER/COMFORT switch on the dash? If so, does it change the shifting pattern?

Don't panic just yet, do the adjustment as shown in that link, and see if it makes a difference.

If your TV cable is not hooked up at all, or snapped......you normally can't get it shifted out of 2nd gear.

You wrote that you just can't get it to "kick down" on the road, so, that just might mean the cable needs adjustment.

• 2 weeks later...
I have looked. I cannot find the kickdown cable on the throttle body at all. I was reading a haynes manual, does my TBI even have a kickdown cable? I think it only applied to the carb models.

not sure about TBI but MPFI on the 4.0 has one. generally any car with an automatic transmission (besides newfangled stuff) has to have a kickdown cable

Yes, you should have the TV cable on your 2.5 TBI.

Check THIS link, and it might show you a little better the set up on both the 2.5 ad the 4.0.

I wish I had a picture of the front/top of the engine, you will see the bracket and cable on top of the intake manifold, just in front of the Throttle body, with a "cable" running across the valve cover, down the right side of the engine - back to the transmission. When you pop the hood, you can see the TV cable from 10 feet away, it's that noticeable, sitting on top of the engine.

This is the easiest first check / fix for the AW4, if your in the 200K mile club, then it could be time for a new transmission. There are other "checks" to go thru. If you having a problem with finding the TV cable, then just maybe, you should have a shop check out the transmission.

Oizarod115 is right, just about every automatic transmission has the TV {Throttle Valve} cable ;)