No electricity

1987 Comanche, went to store at lunch (midnight thirty). came out of store turned key.........nothing no juice, checked batery cables, fuses in engine compartment, then checked fuses under dash..........the buzzer for keys in door ajar was very dim.........

fuse block is soaked in clutch fluid, melty fuses everywhere (the plasitc melted but no blown fueses)

Walked back to work planning on calling tow truck after work to get her home.

Get to truck after work she fires right up and drives home fine.

Do I replace fuse block? Any other ideas as to what could cause this problem?

Thanks in advance.

No, you replace the clutch master first.........then replace the fuse box.

You have a very common problem with the brake fluid leaking from the clutch master and melting down the fuse box :eek:

Your lucky the truck started after you went back to get it, very uncommon.

Don't trust that will happen again :roll:

If the fuse box is really deformed, melted down, it's shot, time for a replacement. Drop me a PM, I have a couple of fuse boxes and wire harness here if you can't find one at the JY. The clutch master you can get from a parts store.

Yeah I was going to come back and edit to say I was planning on replacing the clutch master also.........I know how lucky I was that she started and ran all the way home.......she's parked now and I will drive the XJ to work for the next 2 days.

Payday isn't until tomorrow and I was NOT looking forward to calling the tow truck (write bad check and hope he didn't cash till friday).

You have a very common problem with the brake fluid leaking from the clutch master and melting down the fuse box :eek:

If the fuse box is really deformed, melted down, it's shot, time for a replacement. Drop me a PM, I have a couple of fuse boxes and wire harness here if you can't find one at the JY. The clutch master you can get from a parts store.

Exactly.

When you replace the clutch parts, use silicone brake fluid. It's pricey, but the system doesn't hold much and the silicone isn't nearly as destructive if it gets loose.

Well, that's one thing you don't have to worry about with the AW-4. :D

Yea, but you can't get it rolling and pop the AW4 from neutral to first gear to get it started with a dead battery.

:teehee:

Sure you can you just have to have it rolling at about 35mph to do it :D and it hurts like hell when it engages :nuts:

Well, that's one thing you don't have to worry about with the AW-4. :D

Yea, but you can't get it rolling and pop the AW4 from neutral to first gear to get it started with a dead battery. :teehee:

This is entirely true. And also, you don't have a 25%+ power loss through the drive train with a 5-speed. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have the 5-speed, especially now that the engine is about where I want, but the AW-4 is what I got for now. What's is the last year for the AX-15 Bob? Are there other standard tranny options? Tapco has new surplus AX-15s for $945.

This is a blatant thread steal. I'm going to start a new topic. Sorry.....

Exactly.

When you replace the clutch parts, use silicone brake fluid. It's pricey, but the system doesn't hold much and the silicone isn't nearly as destructive if it gets loose.

the silicon brake fluid DOT5, also does not hold water and therefor eliminating 99% or more of rust on the internals of the brake lines and master and slave