Weird cluster problem

I replaced the cluster on the MJ, and in the process I broke the speedo cable :headpop: but managed to get a new one quickly from Brent. Continuing my string of good luck, the cluster works fine in all aspects except (you knew that was coming...)

When I turn on the headlights the right turn indicater illuminates solid on. When I trip the turn signal stalk it blinks, as does the left turn indicator. When the headlights are off it is not illuminated, and works normally. I have checked the connections and changed the bulbs...I believe it must be the cluster as the previous cluster did not have that problem.

Any ideas would be welcome!

That sounds like the characteristic behavior of a front turn signal socket that has a bad ground. I'd forget the cluster and replace your front signal light sockets. They're cheap, and I'd pretty sure that'll solve the problem.

However, one other random thought: When the headlights are on and the indicator is lit, are the headlights on high beam? What happens when the headlights are on low beam? Is there any chance the high beam and right turn indicators are crossed?

Make damnsure the plug in the right fenderwell beside the air cleaner box is plugged in, I had the same issue, as well as whacky headlights, that was the culprit, along with, as Eagle stated, bad front turn signal sockets.

Wanna make it easy? If you have the time, hit a few JY's and steal the ENTIRE harness from the headerpanel, its one big unit that has the main plug between the airbox and inner fender, check the sockets and if they're good, then grab it, saves hacking and splicing.

That sounds like the characteristic behavior of a front turn signal socket that has a bad ground. I'd forget the cluster and replace your front signal light sockets. They're cheap, and I'd pretty sure that'll solve the problem.

However, one other random thought: When the headlights are on and the indicator is lit, are the headlights on high beam? What happens when the headlights are on low beam? Is there any chance the high beam and right turn indicators are crossed?

Well, I checked the sockets and ground up front, the sockets seemed corrosion free, and although the ground looked good I pulled it off and cleaned the metal-to-metal contact. I suppose there could be corrosion in the harness somewhere.

The high beams were not on, but I did cycle them on and off but it made no difference in the situation.