Front rotor removal question

Its likely just rust welded to the hub.

Later models had a little "Chinese nut" attached to hold the rotor on during assembly in the factory. Check the studs and be sure there is nothing theer holding the rotor on. I don't remember for sure, if the MJ also had this.

Worse case you could get a three jawed puller and get them off.

CW

Hey CW, no "chinese nuts" on the studs and I don't own a three jawed puller.

Perhaps I'll try to pull the u-joint with the shaft in place. The young children need to get the ear muffs ready because this won't be a child-friendly experience!

Well, you COULD do it without removing the rotor....

Remove the three bolts that hold the hub on from the rear. Remove the cotter pin and axle nut. Pull the hub off with the rotor attached.

But I gotta say, if the rotor is rust welded, that hub ain't coming off none too easy either...

Good luck man!!!

CW

just did ball joints on a xj with a hpD30. the three bolts you can take out but be careful they are 12 point. it was a 97 and i had to get an air hammer to separate the bearing assembly from the actual knuckle itself. don't be scared to use a hammer but don't be stupid either. you can try taking the tire off, and hitting every crack with PB BLASTER. the stuff is like magic i swear. if you have to you can get a torch and heat up the area on the rotor that connects it to the bearing assembly. when you put it back together. you want to load up every part where metal is on metal with never-seize. (on the brakes that is. both sides of the rotor.) for the left side axle nut you may have to use a special socket for it as the hole is smaller. we had problems. you may not.

Ok, I Removed the three bolts that hold the hub on from the rear as well as the cotter pin and axle nuts and the rotors aren't budging. I just got finished soaking the front and rear of the rotors with PB Blaster and I'm calling it a night.

I'll hit it with more PB in the morning and try again after work. I'll also stop by NAPA to see if they rent the three jawed puller.

Thanks guys!

aemsee, I'll take your advice and replace the 3 bolts on the inside of the hub so I don't split it.

Let me restate your instructions on hub removal to see if I understand...

1. Straighten wheels

2. Attach the 36MM socket wrench on the hub nut

3. Start engine

4. turn steering wheel to force wrench to loosen nut

Can you let me know if I understand you correctly? A picture would be great.

aemsee, I'll take your advice and replace the 3 bolts on the inside of the hub so I don't split it.

Let me restate your instructions on hub removal to see if I understand...

1. Straighten wheels

2. Attach the 36MM socket wrench on the hub nut

3. Start engine

4. turn steering wheel to force wrench to loosen nut

Can you let me know if I understand you correctly? A picture would be great.

No,NO,No....leave the three hub bolts out. Put the AXLE nut back on if you are planning on beating on the hub/rotor or use a puller. The outer stub shaft and axle nut keep the hub together. The socket goes in between the outer axle u-joint ear and the edge of the axle housing tube.

Where superwade has the bolt and nut is where I put the deep socket. Yes, take the three hub bolts all the way out. If you do it this way you can leave the axle nut off if you want.

Yah, I used a short socket extension on mine (that pic was lifted off another forum, but was the same basic idea of what I did)

That's not very encouraging. I have the u-joint puller tool for only 2 more days. Time to PB Blast some more.

you don't need a u-joint puller. you can use a hammer and a vise. its just the same and probabally much faster. atleast, thats my expierence after doing all the u joints on my truck.

Success tastes good!

I removed the rotors by using the bolt and the magic of power steering. I removed the 3 bolts off the rear of the hub and the axle shaft (with hub attached) came out with just the tap of a 3 pound hammer.

The u-joint swap was a piece of cake but I need to get new dust shields as they were rusted to pieces.

Thanks for everyone’s help.