HELL CREEK SPRINGS

Yep...I got them. They are great!! The only thing I had trouble with was the ones I got were made wit hpoly bushings in them and they were very noisy. I contacted Tom and he sent me the rubber ones that they are now using free of charge :cheers:

I used them in conjunction with the Rubicon Express 3.5" Super Ride kit in the front and it came out perfect. The load capacity I got is the same as the stock springs that it came with which was 980lbs as far as I remember. They do offer the heavier duty sets if you want them with a rating of 1440lbs or something about that.

While they are not the Hell Creek, they are Motion Off-road, ( Motion is a supporter here on the board) also sells a 3" leaf spring. Its also available in reg and HD flavors.

I just sprung for the 4.5" HD set and they arrived THREE DAYS before the shipper estimated!!!

The LOOK great, just like a factory set, with an overload spring. Install tomorrow.

CW

Yep...I got them. They are great!! The only thing I had trouble with was the ones I got were made wit hpoly bushings in them and they were very noisy. I contacted Tom and he sent me the rubber ones that they are now using free of charge :cheers:

I used them in conjunction with the Rubicon Express 3.5" Super Ride kit in the front and it came out perfect. The load capacity I got is the same as the stock springs that it came with which was 980lbs as far as I remember. They do offer the heavier duty sets if you want them with a rating of 1440lbs or something about that.

What size tires are you running, Brent? I assume your 3.5 RE Kit that lifted your front is the one that RE advertises for use in the XJ? You have a nice lift that is just right in my humble opinion!

:cheers:

Paul

In the beginning, I was dead-set on the SOA conversion in the rear, but the aftermarket suspension industry has really stepped-up to the plate to deliver some very high-quality spring-packs; quality enough to change my mind to keep it under!

I was sort of hoping to run 32x11.50 BFG/MTs on the stock alloys. Would your lift accomodate 32s?

V/R

In the beginning, I was dead-set on the SOA conversion in the rear, but the aftermarket suspension industry has really stepped-up to the plate to deliver some very high-quality spring-packs; quality enough to change my mind to keep it under!

Besides all of that, I have a DANA 44 out of a salvaged MJ that was equipped with the Metric Ton Package and that means I do not have to worry about any welding or emergency brake issues if I keep it under!

Paul

32's would definitely go on it, but I am sure there will be a little rubbing as the 31's are very close to the lower control arms on full lock turning.

Thanks for the info. It looks as if I am going to have to SPRING for the 4.5" lift! ...suspension humor...hehehe! :yes:

So...is the RE's 4.5" lift better than Motion's? There is a scary message on the RE wesite concerning having to purchase additional items to make the kit fit:

The installation of a slip yoke eliminator and a rear CV driveshaft on the stock NP231 or the NP242 transfer case is highly recommended.

That is a message that does not appear on Motion's website. Thanks again!

Paul

32's would definitely go on it, but I am sure there will be a little rubbing as the 31's are very close to the lower control arms on full lock turning.

Thanks for the info. It looks as if I am going to have to SPRING for the 4.5" lift! ...suspension humor...hehehe! :yes:

So...is the RE's 4.5" lift better than Motion's? There is a scary message on the RE wesite concerning having to purchase additional items to make the kit fit:

The installation of a slip yoke eliminator and a rear CV driveshaft on the stock NP231 or the NP242 transfer case is highly recommended.

That is a message that does not appear on Motion's website. Thanks again!

Paul

I'm sure someone smarter than me will reply about the SYE/CV on MJ's, but I have a feeling that RE used a Copy and Paste on their webpage from one of their Kits where 4.5" makes it a virtual necessity for a SYE/CV (Like on a TJ)... If you do a search for Slip Yoke on here, I don't think you will see many people talking about them for anything under 6-7" of lift on an MJ...

I believe Motions kit is complete with shocks where the RE kit does not come with shocks. As far as I know, Motions kit is very good quality as I know that they get their components made by reoutable manufactures.

The SYE kit may be required if you have trouble with driveline vibration after lifting it, but it's not real likely on an MJ ;) .

The 4.5" RE kit is for an XJ, not for a MJ. So that is why you see the info on the SYE, as the XJ has a much shorter wheelbase and a SYE is typically required when going higher than 3.5" on the XJ's. Being that the MJ has a much longer wheelbase a SYE really isn't needed until the 6.5"+ height.

Also, just in case you were not aware, the RE kit as I said prior is for an XJ. The rear leafs out of the XJ will NOT fit into the MJ. Also if you were considering the AAL kit (RE611) the XJ AAL will not give 4.5" of lift on the MJ's. So your still left with figuring out a way to lift the rear.

We're a bit biased as to what kit is "better", but we're also a RE dealer and sell a lot of RE parts. So if your wanting RE parts in your MJ lift kit, we're happy to put a custom kit together for you. Just give us a call and we'll get you a quote with what you want.

The 4.5" RE kit is for an XJ, not for a MJ. So that is why you see the info on the SYE, as the XJ has a much shorter wheelbase and a SYE is typically required when going higher than 3.5" on the XJ's. Being that the MJ has a much longer wheelbase a SYE really isn't needed until the 6.5"+ height.

Also, just in case you were not aware, the RE kit as I said prior is for an XJ. The rear leafs out of the XJ will NOT fit into the MJ. Also if you were considering the AAL kit (RE611) the XJ AAL will not give 4.5" of lift on the MJ's. So your still left with figuring out a way to lift the rear.

Now that I recall, the RE guys did mention the XJ's wheelbase issue possibly not being an issue for my shortbox MJ. My situation is that I currently have all of the OEM factory parts (DANA 44/3.55 MJ axle and OEM driveshaft for a shortbox MJ DANA-44/3.55 option application) and I want to safely clear 32" tires without competing for an altitude record.

I am fully aware that the XJ rear AALs will not work on my MJ rear and was considering the RE 4.5 XJ kit for the front and Motion 4.5 leafs for the rear. Seeing is believing and I am quite impressed that Motion is on this website not only providing valuable advice, but providing it fairly not to just choose their own products.

I really like Motion's involvement amongst us MJ commoners and have decided to go with their product for both axles all the way around! I like the way Motion does business! jamminz.gif

I humbly thank all of you for the valuable advice I have learned and hope to someday post my own project as it progresses. I have a great starter MJ at the present, but am currently repairing the rust issues of an MJ that originally sold and had suffered the road-salt of many northern-Atlantic winters. The rust can no longer wait and I have launched an aggressive campaign to exterminate it accordingly!

I am going with Motion's 4.5" lift all around!

Paul

I am fully aware that the XJ rear AALs will not work on my MJ rear

Paul

Paul,

Just to clarify. the XJ add-A-leaf will in-fact "work" in any 2.5" spring pack. They just will not offer the advertised lift they will in a XJ.

For those who do not know, the XJ leaf pack is much flatter than the MJ's. So the AAL for the XJ will not lift as much.

I just added a RE 3" XJ AAL to my Rusty's pack and got about an inch of lift. I did it for the increased spring rate the AAL afford, not for the amount of lift.

Good job on going with Motion. We gotta support those who support us!!

:cheers: :cheers:

CW

I am going with Motion's 4.5" lift all around!

Uhm...one more thing! I need DANA-44 U-bolt hardware for the fatter axle that I will be using. Does Motion also have that?

Thanks!

Paul

Someone correct me on this if I'm mistaken, but I seem to remember that MJ 44s have the same outer diameter as the 35s. But either way, you could PM motion and ask them direct. :thumbsup:

Paul,

Just to clarify. the XJ add-A-leaf will in-fact "work" in any 2.5" spring pack. They just will not offer the advertised lift they will in a XJ.

For those who do not know, the XJ leaf pack is much flatter than the MJ's. So the AAL for the XJ will not lift as much.

I just added a RE 3" XJ AAL to my Rusty's pack and got about an inch of lift. I did it for the increased spring rate the AAL afford, not for the amount of lift.

CW,

You definitely got me on that technicality! Let me now rephrase my original comment:

I am hereby fully aware that the RE 4.5" suspension kit is meant for XJs and that the rear AAL is NOT MEANT FOR USE in MJ spring-packs...hehehe! 8)

I have no intention of using any RE suspension parts on the rear of my MJ and was only initially interested in the frontal RE suspension parts. Had I purchased the RE kit, I was planning on ditching the AALs in the trashcan and using Motion's 4.5" spring-packs for the rear. I was not certain if it would cost more to order the entire RE XJ suspenion kit including the XJ AALs or if ordering only the frontal suspension parts individually (minus the AALs) might even be more costly in the end. Sometimes package deals are like that.

Whether the AALs can be used with MJ spring-packs or not, I haven't a clue, but it is good to know that there is a use for them in the MJ world as you identified. Thanks for the clarification on that. At the end of the day, I have no interest in any RE suspension solutions for the rear of my MJ.

Brent,

Is that a Proto Fab winch bumper that you are sporting? It is a work of art!

Paul

Brent,

Is that a Proto Fab winch bumper that you are sporting?

Paul

Yep...it's Proto-Fab. I was real happy with the way it's built, but it does not come with the frame tie ins to actually support the use of a winch. I don't intend to ever use a winch on it, but I will be putting one on it for looks as it looks silly without one right now. Just need to find a cheap one that still looks good ;)

[someone correct me on this if I'm mistaken, but I seem to remember that MJ 44s have the same outer diameter as the 35s. But either way, you could PM motion and ask them direct. :thumbsup:

DANA-44s are larger in diameter than 35s. Wider U-bolt hardware is required. My 1992 MJ OEM DANA-35 U-bolt plates are universal containing eight holes...four for the smaller-diameter DANA 35 which are in use and four empty holes for the DANA 44 option. The OEM plates are rusted to hell and I would rather go with some heavy aftermarket replacements.

V/R

Paul

[someone correct me on this if I'm mistaken, but I seem to remember that MJ 44s have the same outer diameter as the 35s. But either way, you could PM motion and ask them direct. :thumbsup:

DANA-44s are larger in diameter than 35s. Wider U-bolt hardware is required. My 1992 MJ OEM DANA-35 U-bolt plates are universal containing eight holes...four for the smaller-diameter DANA 35 which are in use and four empty holes for the DANA 44 option. The OEM plates are rusted to hell and I would rather go with some heavy aftermarket replacements.

V/R

Paul

Yup the D44 is a tad bigger at 2 3/4 to the D35's 2 9/16.

Motion has the D44's 2 3/4" U-Bolts for sure!!

CW