AX 5 Help

Whamm

you may want to check this iste for they have a diagram that list parts http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=11433 this sould be a start ther is a site that you should be able to DL the FSM and i want to say that you find that information for this site http://www.lunghd.com/ its a start good luck :cheers:

Thanks, not something that i wanted to do but when i took the trans out to replace the clutch i noticed that the shaft had a lot of play in it.

Well i guess if it blows up after trying to rebuild it, i haven't lost that much and gained a little knowledge. :nuts:

I would consider looking for a 96' to 98' Dakota AX-15 to put in place of that horrible transmission. Although I have been running a stock Ax-5 in my YJ for 3 yrs, with 39" boggers, and pretty hard wheeling. But honestly the Ax-15 would be a much better tranny. They are hard to find to fit the 4cyl. Just my $0.02

Putting an Ax-15 in there is too much fab work unless you really, really want that trans in there. Replacing the input bearing is going be much more simple.

After you get the trans out, pop the bellhousing off, and the bearing retainer. Then there's 8ish bolts that go through one housing, the midplate, and into the other housing. If you take all those out, the front housing will come off(you have to help the bearings out of the housing).

I'm sure you'll need a press to get that bearing off, and probably need the shaft itself off. To get the shaft off, you need to pop the c-clips off the midplate bearing on the layshaft, then slide it forward enough so the input shaft will slide off. Don't lose any of the bearings for the input sliding over the output shaft.

Best pic I have of when I had mine apart.

I agree with geonovast.

here's a link to my tranny rebuild. there's probably more pics in the folder than just for the tranny, but feel free to look around. you will need a press to remove the bearing.

any questions, please ask. i'd type more but just got off 10 hours of work :(

Was it noisy? There is some wiggle to the input shaft normally. The pilot bushing/bearing in the flywheel keeps things straight. It isn't a tapered roller so it isn't normally preloaded. There may be nothing wrong with it. How "loose" is it? Maybe someone has one sitting around and they can compare amount of play for you.

Thanks for all the help and pics.

The main problem that i was having (90 Comanche 2.5 4x2) was the trans would not shift into any gear once in was removed from reverse. And all gears would grind when shifting. So i figured that it had to be the clutch and/or slave cylinder.

There wasn't any noise from the trans when in gear, but the shaft moved about an 1/8 inch on the inside race.