A/C resistor

Recently the A/C switch has stopped working in the 'low' and 'medium' positions. I pulled the control and substituted a known good control but the problem persists.

I have been told that there is a resistor in the circuit that usually resides by the blower, or the evaporator. I cannot find this item, but have been assured it is bypassed when the fan switch is on 'high' (therefore explaining why it works at that setting).

Can one of you fine gentlemen give me the location of this resistor?

I am told it must be in an area of moving air or it will immendiately overheat and burn.

Thanks.

If i recall correctly its located under the dash infront of the passenger seat mounted to the heater core cover. It has a little shield over it next to a vacuum line. Older models have a coil looking job, the newer stuff has what appears to be a heat sync. I'de give the wires a good wiggle with the blower set to wherever it doesn't work, mine's given me fits before.

Dave

81861808.gif

Might I suggest replacing the blower motor resistor first? A bad blower motor resistor will only allow the blower motor to work on high speed only. Once you replace it then you can decide if the blower motor itself needs replacing. To replace the blower motor resistor:

Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.

Remove the kick cover from the heater-A/C housing.

Pull out the lock on the blower motor resistor wire harness connector to unlock the connector latch.

Depress the latch on the blower motor resistor wire harness connector and unplug the connector from the resistor.

Remove the two screws that secure the resistor to the heater-A/C housing.

Remove the resistor from the heater-A/C housing.

Reverse the removal procedures to install.

taken from http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1i/bl793i.htm

Hey Jake...

It's on the passenger side inside the cab under the glove box in the side of the evap case. If you get down and look under the dash, there will be a little cover (if it's still there) over it. Take the cover off, unplug the wires, take the two screws out and go get another. Most dealers still stock them and they are not expensive.