Newest member of my vehicle roster

Just (yesterday ie: monday) purchased a 1992 4.0L M/T 2wd MJ...

My fiance and I drove up to Sacramento (from the OC) yesterday and bought this little beauty. Not perfect, by any means, but not bad at all. Especially for $900. She's got 227k on the clock, but that's ok, I have a fresh motor to put in. Typical Jeep, leaking from every oriface it has, short of the rear pinion seal. Got them to knock $99 off bcuz of a cracked exhaust manifold. Still deciding on which path I shall follow, but here she is in all her glory!

Image Not FoundImage Not Found

Image Not Found

Above: This isn't an actual height difference. Driveway has a slight slope, I was kneeling down, and they aren't pulled up at the same point.

Image Not Found

Below: First Mod! No red stripe.

Image Not Found

Second Mod: No Gray stripe. Looks so much better. Can see the difference though in the paint. I think this thing might have been repainted at one time. Not exactly sure though. I have only found a little overspray.

Image Not Found

Is it retarded that I got excited that it has factory rear speakers and ONE key for both ignition and doors, FROM THE FACTORY?? HaHa! Craziness I know...

To give a little insight as to what is in the future of this little 92...

Currently is...

Image Not Found

Will be...

This motor is in my blue 87 MJ, just recently built. I was building it at my buddies shop, and he decided to play a practicle joke on me after I finished painting the block and oil pan...He didn't think I would keep it. LoL, you have no idea how many laughs I get when people start looking around the truck and find it!

Basically everything on the blue truck, will end up on the 92. Freshly rebuilt 4.0L H.O. w/ late late model intake manifold, freshly rebuilt 42RE manual valve body trans, freshly rebuilt NP242 transfer case with slip yoke eliminator. Fresh CV (yea I know, not a "CV") rear driveshaft that will need to be cut down for the SWB truck, suspension lift, D44 rear axle (currently with a spool and 4.10s, but will have a Detroit and 4.88s before it's reinstalled), the front Barnett Performance Products X-Rock and Steering Box Brace, late model front end and fiberglass fenders, Currie Heavy Duty Steering, 96+ Brake Booster, Optima battery, Jeeptricks Aluminum radiator, BRX silicone hoses, etc..........oh, and the partridge in the pear tree.

Image Not Found

I have a high pinion D30 that I trussed up, just need to finish welding all the bracketry and Barnett Gusset kit on, install the Johnny Joint conversion for the upper control arm mounts, 4.88s and an ARB air locker. Hopefully the money tree will have a branch fall down to fund getting the Alloy axle shafts as well. And she'll get 35" BFGs on 17s...plenty of room for future brake upgrades.

I'll try and keep things up to date on what's happening.

I think the smilie faces are a sweet too. Just pops out.

The front fenders are full fiberglass fenders from Trailer Products. They really only fit with the newer front end, but man do they look clean! I love that they don't look like the typical "beer holder"/"flat top" fiberglass fenders. And the rear is the stock bedsides stretched out with new supports made.

Ultimately, nothing. I swapped out the powertrain to that of a 2001 XJ a little bit ago, and I need to make it california smog legal. Which is a royal pain bcuz in 2001 Jeep had to toss in A LOT of smog equipment. Damn thing has 3 catalytic converters and 5 O2 sensors, a battery temp sensor, ambient air temp sensor just to name a few of the stupid things I would need.

Then I came across this 92, decided I would rather swap everything over to the new truck and kinda start over. The short bed will be better versatility for me (the LWB likes to drag on canyon walls) and hell, it's a 92!

Yea, it is a pretty sweet set up. I am finally able to start driving her, and it doesn't feel like it has 227k on the clock. But I bought it from a lien sale, so I know nothing about the truck beyond what I have in front of me.

Unfortunately she isn't for sale!

The rareness of it is one thing that I really like about it. Comanches getting rare as it is, let alone 92 4.0L. I think the only one more rare (other than metric tons) is the 92 4.0L 4x4. I can't wait to get going on this rig.

One thing I am debating on....

Keep the 5 spd or put my 42re manual valve body trans in that I just rebuilt and installed on the blue truck?

5 spd has lots of power, but so does the 42re, with out needing to deal with the clutch and my tempermental left knee...

What do you folks think?

• 1 month later...

Well the 5spd is gonna go. Not just cuz the pilot bearing is going out (she gets difficult to shift after it warms up, which is a common sign of the pilot going bad), but because my bum left knee doesn't like it after a 20+ minute drive. Oh well, atleast I've got a rebuilt 42re that's already paid for to drop in! I need to swap the trans out for a 4wd unit anyhow, so why spend more money right?