Front Turn Signal/Parking Light Problem

My '87 has a problem where the front passenger parking light (one beneath the headlight) is either dead or dim. When the turn signal is on, it is weak.

I compared the left and right setups, and I filed the connections as best as possible, but it's the same. (swapped bulbs side to side, and problem stays with the passenger side)

While I had everything apart on both sides, I compared the function:

Parking lights on:

Driver side - taller filament lights.

Passenger side - taller filament lights weakly if at all.

Turn signal only:

Driver side - shorter filament flashes

Passenger side - shorter filament flashes weakly AND flashing will change over to the taller filament and flash. In both cases, the flashing is weak.

Parking lights on and turn signals on:

Driver side - taller filament lights, shorter filament flashes (makes sense) taller filament remains lit continuously

Passenger side - taller filament lights weakly, shorter filament flashes weakly - they alternate

After a while, the taller filament quits lighting at all for the parking light function, and the signal function hops over to the taller filament with a weak flash.

As far as I can tell, the connections in the socket are not touching. My only guess is corrosion farther back where I can see inside of it.

Are these sockets common replacement items available anywhere, or must I get one from the dealer/junkyard? Must the wires be cut and spliced, or can the wires be pulled out of the existing socket?

Thanks for any pointers.

Thanks for the help guys!

AZ let me down. A friend works there, so I try them first. Advance had it. It is #84716, Conduct-Tite brand. Overall, they had more to pick from.

As advised, it is labeled for Ford! The only hiccup is that every single P/N on the back said "uses 1157 bulbs." When I finally saw the right one, I instantly knew it was right by the shape of the face that mates to the lens, and I also saw the wire colors were an exact match. I flipped it over and "uses 1157" appeared. Hmmm.

I compared 1157s to 2057s, and externally they are the same, and from the specs on the package, the electrical specs are the same. BUT, the filaments are reversed! Had I realized that first, I would have wired it backwards. I just removed the bulb and put it in 180 degrees off, and twisted it hard enough that those little pegs dug into the plastic.

Its a light bulb it doesn't matter what side ground is on. If it was a LED it would matter but not a regular bulb.

The park/turn signal bulbs are dual filament; the turn signal filament is of more wattage than the park filament. I think this is waht he was talking about. Me, I wouldn't care unless the bulbs blew out more often. :eek:

The only reason I had to flip it around was because with the filaments backwards, the parking light was so bright, I could not tell the flasher filament was working!

One more thing I forgot... The part of the socket that grips the lens is too long on the replacement, by a few millimeters. If you have to do this repair, keep the original socket's foam seal handy in case you need it to take up the slack. I doubled them up.