Sentry panel parts/install

found an '85 cherokee chief at the yard this morning with factory skid plates. Were there any changes in the front end between '85 and '92 that would keep the front skid plate from being bolt on?

it also had a sentinel panel...does anybody have the wiring diagrams? I pulled the panel, the box it attached to, some of the wiring and a few of the sensors. Need to know what sensors i missed and anything else i'll need if i try to wire this up to my MJ.

Thanks in advance.

[edited for thread title change]

Didn't pull the skid plate but i do have a picture on my phone. Have to see if it came out ok before i upload it. Have the sentinel stuff in a box in my jeep right now, but no pictures. If it help for me to post pictures of the stuff, i will later on this afternoon/evening.

i think the xj had a skid plate in the back (for the fuel tank maybe?). Wasn't paying that much attention, just went around back to check the axle. I'm guessing that wouldn't be useful on an MJ, but if it is, i would go back for it.

Boy you hit the jackpot with that!!

Those are very rare and hard to find. The wiring is just the half of it, you need to get all the sensors. Most of them are fluid level sensors that give you a heads up if something is low. If you go back and look at the axles, you'll see a sensor plugged into the yoke side of the pumkin. I've thought that if I ever ran across one I'd try to get all the wiring and sensors and make it work on the MJ. So many projects, so little time and money. :D

If anything, you can sell it and make a good penny if you market it right.

:cheers:

so what the hell is the sentinal package?

Here's a pic. It goes in the dash where the clock slot is. I've had a few of these over the years, and the sensors required for complete monitoring are impossible to find. So I didn't bother.

xjdashsystemsentry.jpg

I wonder what kind of sensor the brake pad thing was and what it really checks?

About the only thing I can think of is that it was a contact that once the pad wore to a certain thickness it would come in contact with the brake drum or disk and complete a circuit. :dunno:

I wonder what kind of sensor the brake pad thing was and what it really checks?

About the only thing I can think of is that it was a contact that once the pad wore to a certain thickness it would come in contact with the brake drum or disk and complete a circuit. :dunno:

that's exactly it.

the b*tch of the system is that the holes are not fun to drill in cast. the sensors are mounted to the knuckles up front, and the backing plates in the rear. the diff fluid ones are drilled through the axles, the washer fluid one is located on top of the washer reservoir, the power steering one requires a nonstandard power steering line on the pressurized hose.

kinda a PITA to deal with. I had the assembly but it was stolen from me out of my parts stash (it's a shame that some of the locals can think of doing that...i only let 89eliminator, beaterjeep, TNT, geonovast, and my buddies Aaron, Jake, and his brother Joe in now. made a mistake letting someone else in.

anyways, I'd hook up what you can on the sentinal system then devise different ways to make the rest of the lights work. the sensors are simple...levels or thicknesses are reached, and they close the circuit.

Jeepco, sorry to hear you had this stuff stolen, i'm sure with enough time you would have gotten all this to work.

the sensors are mounted to the knuckles up front, and the backing plates in the rear. the diff fluid ones are drilled through the axles, the washer fluid one is located on top of the washer reservoir, the power steering one requires a nonstandard power steering line on the pressurized hose.

I've got the ones from the axles and t-case, one from the brake booster and one from the washer reservoir (not all of which are in good shape). Wouldn't have found the steering sensor or the brake pad sensors on my own. That leaves just two lights on the panel i can't account for, engine and engine coolant.

Also since it looks like i'm going to have to cut up some of the wiring harness to get it out (correct me if i'm wrong), i may need the diagrams to get it all back together. Best i can tell, the wiring from the control box goes out thru the firewall to the engine bay, where it goes into the engine harness. I didn't want to randomly start cutting or ripping things apart until i ha some more info.

I'm going to be pulling the wiring out of the MJ before it gets painted anyway, so its a good time to give it a try.

Thanks again for all the input.

Well, i was able to track down a wiring diagram (link here for anyone who is interested).

I've pulled all the wiring, and half of the sensors (and a lot of things i don't need). Still have to go back for the trans, oil, power steering and rear axle fluid sensors. Going to run back to the yard this weekend for those.

Realistically, i'll probably run all the wiring but hook up only a few of the sensors. The wiring is easy enough using the schematic. Probably won't ever drill into the t-case or axles for those sensors. The ones i have already don't look too hard to work in. Won't decide on the trans, oil or power steering until i pull the sensors.