leaf spring protection/paint??

I was thinking about getting my leaf packs powder coated but after talking to the guy that does it looks like it will not be the best solution for it.

the leaf packs that i have are rusty so i want to have them sandblasted, then after that i want them to be protected as not to rust again. I understand that if I'm wheelin with it and smack it on some rocks that that part even if its covered with paint or somehting it still has potential to rust on me but I just want to make sure that the whole pack doesnt rust out on me.

would rust preventive rattle can paint work well? Por15? anything else anyone can suggest?

Thanks,

Jonathan

ok, cool. I was also thinking that I could coat the bottom of the bottom leaf with some of the spray can under coating that I have kicking around, it won't hold up to rocks but it should stop rust. or maybe I will just hit it with some black rattle can.

also, does anyone know the average price of sandblasting? just looking for a round about number to do 10 leafs.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Sandblasting prices will vary greatly I'm sure from shop to shop. A local place charges about $40 to sandblast a wheel, so hard to say. I'd bet $100 minimum, that's assuming you are going to break down the pack. If you are doing that, seems to me a little time with a wire wheel on the end of a power drill and a little elbow grease with a heavy wire brush should suffice before you rattle 'em with your favorite spray can. That's what I'm getting ready to do with that 6 leaf bastard pack I have for sale. :brows:

That being said, MJeff told me when he painted the packs on his 87 he got a paint that has graphite in it so the packs would flex better, or something like that. :nuts: You may want to PM him if he doesn't catch this post. Might be worth doing.

I occassionally spray mine with some flat black paint, but to maintain them in between I typically clean them and spray a good coat of silicone on them. I have done this for years now on our YJ nad have never had a problem with rust...BUT, I do live in Florida and rust is not a big issue here anyway... :roll: :brows: