County Laws

ridenlow12

the most messed up thing about my county is that they made the ordinance as a side issue so no one really knew about it until it was too late, but they do that a lot. Ok I am a black guy who lives in the south and I am a history buff so I know the difference between Northern history of the south and southern history therefore the confederate flag does not bother me at all. For as long as I could remember our county shield had the stars and bars at the heart of it and last year on our county decal it was removed without any discussion. talk about :headpop: yeah they caught hell for that one and then they decided instead of replacing it they just included the price of the decal on your personal property taxes and not give a decal which sucks for me since i hadn’t bought one in about 5 years :D any way county laws suck!!!

You peaked my interest. First, what is this decal that you pay for in your real estate taxes but didn't receive, which is bad because you didn't buy one? Please explain.

Next, I'm interested in a history lesson. What is the background of the Confederate flag and what does it stand for?

In Virginia up until recent years counties and cities had a decal to identify which place you were from that you displayed on your windshield they typically cost $25 bucks or so but to cut cost may locations now charge $25 county registration on your personal property taxes so they don’t have to give you a decal.

No history lesson because we could debate all day but the first confederate flag was representive of the states who felt they had just cause to seced from the rest of the nation. The battle flag was later adopted by the south. Now people want to say it as a sign of hate but in actuality it is a part of southern history and culture. Many Blacks fought under the confederate flag during the civil war freely as soldiers although history books will say otherwise. Also some blacks in the south owned slaves as well. Many injustices happed during the early formation of our country but to say that a particular group cannot use their flag because it may "offend" someone is crazy. Some groups such as the KKK and skin heads adopted the confederate flag as a symbol of hate much like the Nazi group adopted the swastika when in actuality the swastika is a thousands year old symbol that has been used for centuries by Hindus, Buddhists and many other traditions to denote good luck, but because of the Nazis it has come to symbolize hate, anti-Semitism, violence, death and murder. :cheers:

Thanks, that helps explain the decal. Looks like a way to get extra taxes or the spread them out a bit.

It's very ironic how a country that was formed to escape religious intolerance is so judgemental and must put things in neat tidy categories (in order to justify something else) so that all the facets don't have to be dealt with. Shoot, we were very intolerant towards the people we took the land from once we didn't need them. Then there were the witch trials, 'You're different, we must get rid of you.' The actions of a few ruin it for everyone. As my aunt once said 'What a shame, 'ghey' was a perfectly good word.'

You bring up some good points. There had to more reasons why so many died for their side. They weren't all rich people who owned slaves. We've moved on from WWII and now Japan is a major ally/partner and we never really had much resentment towards the Germans. We made up with the Brits, but have we really gotten over the Civil War. From what little we learn about the Conferate side is that they were for less government control. Isn't that what the Revolutiionary War was about.

Forgive me if I distorted the facts, but if you step back a little from the details, you see what I see.

Hey I agree with you, like i said I am a black guy who has no problem with the confedrate flag and for the county government to remove it without discussion was not right. I love everything about this country even the things that are not so pleasant because as I look around the world we have it soooooo much better here in the good ol' :USAflag:

jamminz.gif

The state of Georgia changed the state flag also, which makes no sense. Why change something that has been around for a long time and has become accepted to something that looks like no one could make up there mind. Oh wait, I know, everyone is trying to be so d*** politically correct that everyone is walking around on eggshells afraid to hurt some ones feelings. Maybe that part of the problem a lot of people's skin is too thin.

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"

Sorry for the rant

yea the whole political correct thing has gotten way out of control. It's like in the service, you have to be very careful or you'll be in front of the ole man losing a stripe. The kinder gentler Navy they call it. I much preferred the boot in the @$$, get out of my face you maggot, or I'll wipe the deck with you Navy.

Anyhow, on topic, they got rid of are stickers here too and just charge the property tax as well. Also, something I found out today when I opened the plate renewal notice from DMV, they are starting to charge an extra $5 if you go to the DMV office and get your tags renewed instead of doing it through the mail or on-line. :nuts: They say this is to save the state money because they will cut jobs at the DMV due to less traffic. :roll: I'm sure the DMV workers love this idea.

That summarizes it for me... :D :cheers:

As far as I have always known, the Confederate Flag is a North / South thing, not a Black / White thing. It was adopted as a symbol of Southern unity and pride, but was taken as a symbol of hatred and rebellion by those from the north.

Sorry for getting way off topic here though. Counties seem to have their ways of geeting around things. I am sure if all of took the time to investigate what we are actually paying for in some of the "fees" or "assessments", we would be equally shocked and irritated.

It's not just counties. Federal and state government have a habit of adding completely unrelated stuff to bills. Let's say you try to pass a 423 page bill about using a cell phone while driving, nobody is going to read the whole thing to realize the last page would make watering your lawn on Sundays illegal.

The state of Georgia changed the state flag also, which makes no sense. Why change something that has been around for a long time and has become accepted to something that looks like no one could make up there mind. Oh wait, I know, everyone is trying to be so d*** politically correct that everyone is walking around on eggshells afraid to hurt some ones feelings. Maybe that part of the problem a lot of people's skin is too thin.

Sorry for the rant

Yup, the Honorable (?) Governor Sonny Perdue campaigned against changing the flag, got elected and whats the FIRST thing he did, yup. From what I have learned since school (documentaries and reading) the Civil War was not started due to slavery, it was economics. The North telling the South who and what prices Southern goods could be sold to and for, slavery was just an added incentive for some to fight. Slavery has been around for centuries (Egyptians are technically black and had slave that built the pyramids). And for that matter my own ancestors were probably taken as slaves of the Romans. Such trivial stuff for some to still be arguing over in this country is beyond me :dunno: , get over it I say. Whats the next thing to be changed, the USA flag because someone coming here from a foriegn country doesn't like the color red ?? or blue is on the flag where they came from??

Ranting here, I'll stop for now, but I say this, if you don't like things the way they are here, Delta is ready when you are.