need a new laptop

comancheman

ok so I'm going back to school in september and need a laptop. i really have no idea what to look for in a computer who makes a good one and what specs i will need so I'm lookin for some advice. all i really need it for is writing papers, comanche clubbing, probably some CAD software, comanche clubbing, the occasional free music download and probaly some other random uses. any info or opinions are appreciated and maybe even a little explanation of all the computer jargon ive seen

You need to register for an intro to computers class. The one they offer at my school is pretty much teaching MS Office 2007.. Which includes, Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point, Outlook, ect. As for laptops, I have an Acer Inspire, I bought it from Tiger Direct, and upgraded the RAM to a GB an half using two cards, with AMD as the processor. My next choice would be a HP I like the look of them and everyone I know that has one like them. I've been more then happy with my laptop. Its been through alot, but my next PC/laptop is going to be an Apple when I can afford one..

I have an HP with 2gb of RAM and dual core processor and i like it alot. If you get a computer with Vista operating system on it make sure it has at least 2Gb of RAM or it will be rather slow.

i have vista its rather slow with only 512 mb of ram in a dell inspiron notebook

I have owned or used for work, Dell, HP, Toshiba, Sony, Gateway, Mac

I would have to say once you get used to the Mac it is the way to go. Second choice is either Toshiba or Sony......Dell would be my last choice