Project Y - Comp Rock Crawler/Family Trail Rig

New MJ guy here, not new to Jeeps, just MJs.

Why Project Y? When I told a few people about my plans, their response was, why?

Just purchased a new project MJ, an 88 2wd shortbed for $300. The plan is to build a vehicle capable of competing in the local rock crawling competions, RROCK, and still able to take my family out on the trails for a weekend of wheeling.

I am currently in the process of tearing the MJ down in-between jobs. Below is a link to my page dedicated to the build. I will update the thread as I hit milestones.

http://www.taboocustoms.com/mjprojecty.htm

Partially because of cheapness and time. The 3.55s are in it now, once I move up to 35 spline shafts in the 60 Ill change the gears. The list there is just what I want to get done to be able to wheel it. There is a lot more in the future than what is on that list.

I'm cutting the back of the cab off to add seats in the rear, I need to be able to seat 4.

I just sold 2 CJ s, and I have a TJ. Four people in a CJ or TJ leaves little room for anything.

Before this is asked, "Why not an XJ?" Because I couldn't find one this cheap and I also wanted to be different.

Fair enough. Sounds weird. I personally don't think an XJ has room for 4 people and gear. Hence I have no rear seat in my XJ. And it's true that the wrangler-things don't either. So, I guess you might as well start with a MJ and hack it up. Although, truth be told I really think you're the type of guy who could have got into an SJ wagoneer. Big enough to fit the family and a lot of junk.

But I don't believe in wheeling 4-seaters anyways. Maybe because I'm young and dumb. No signs of a family on my horizon, unless things go all bad on me.

• 2 weeks later...

Talked with the Rrock marshal today and it looks like I need to leave the B pillar in place to qualify for mod stock. So now it looks like Ill just be cutting a hole in the back of the cab, it will sort of end up like a 4 runner.

Also looks like Ill be running 35's since that the tire size limit.

I'm currently debating my next move, start fixing the floor boards, cut out the rear of the cab, bob the bed, or get the axles, engine and transmission positioned.

I'm thinking Ill get the drivetrain positioned and get my tires mounted that would let me build from the ground up starting with repairing and strengthening the unibody then moving to floor boards and cage.

SOLIDWORKS UP IN THIS MOFO!!!

looks good man. keep up the good work. You sound a lot like me. I plan on doing some street competitions when I get mine done. I also have had many jeeps before, and this is my first mj. I'm also like DirtyComanche there is no family for me on the horizon unless my hip locks up in the inward position. Ha ha ha I had to put that. :chillin:

After going to the TRJC Blast this weekend and talking to some competitors I have made some more changes to the plan. The welded front is out, in favor of something selectible, looking at an Auburn, ox or ARB locker right now, if I'm gonna do that I might as well throw some 5.13s in.

Anyone use the Auburn selectible locker?

Yeah Ive been usng solidworks since 2000 now, end up using it daily at my full time job and talked them into giving me a copy for "home" use.

When I change ours to selectables, it's going to be OX front and rear. Very simple...very strong :cheers: .

I don't like air lockers at all as I have seen to many friends battle with air lines broken, compressors not working etc, etc... and I have no experience with Auburn.

We got setup as a Randy's Ring & Pinion dealer today, so tomorrow we get to start spending money. Right now looking like a Detroit in the back, an OX locker up front and 5.13s. Changed my mind on the front after reading some reviews and taking a closer look at how the Auburn works.

Still trying to figure out the best place to get disc brake brackets for the 60.

There is nothing like buying a $300 truck and spending $2500 on the axles for it. All my stuff, except the caliper plates, should arrive tomorrow, so Ill be working on setting up the rear RnP and detroit this weekend. Ill start working on the front later this month.

Decided to buy caliper plates from Great Lakes Offroad, will order them tomorrow.

Last night I got the rear axle shaved and some pictures posted up. I stll need to figure out a diff cover, Ill probably do that after the gear and locker is in. I'm hoping to have the axle under the jeep sometime in the next week or so.