HELP! axle swap: pad/caliper/rotor differences???

I'm literally in the middle of swapping in my new(er) HP30 into my 'manche and I'm running into issues that I didn't expect, mainly because the axle is supposedly out of another MJ, turns out she is full of surprises!

My biggest issue right now is with the brakes. Evidently they changed for the 1990 model year (what my truck is), and now I notice that the "new" axle isn't the same...

Both axles have the CAD so I know I'm pretty limited on how many years it could be from.

-On my old one the caliper mounting brackets are cast in with the rest of the knuckle, this one has them bolted on.

-My original pads are physically too big to fit in the grooves that they're supposed to rest in. I got ahold of some pads for model years '86 to '89 and they fit perfectly...

So I fitted up some '86 to '89 calipers and pads and called it a night. Today I notice that I've got them on backwards (bleeder screws are on the bottom) and they just look funny to me... here's some pics.

f_86to89calipm_d895e1c.jpg

Is the piston supposed to come up over the pads???

f_86to89calipm_68d9ac5.jpg

The pads rest just perfectly.

f_padsnocalipm_3386d09.jpg

Sorry for the huge pics, I ran out of time to re-size them... any help is appreciated!

Looks the wrong calipers to me, like they're not going in all the way either. Yes the piston is supposed to be above the pads a little bit, but not by that much.

As for the pic size, I suggest getting a photobucket account. Completely free, and it resizes it automatically when you upload, to a very forum-friendly size.

So I have to either put my old knuckles on, or change to the correct hubs and rotors... fantastic, all I need is more money to spend!

So that brings up another problem:

I looked up the hub units online and the same number was listed for all years... BR930040 (NAPA number), I'll check at work tomorrow just to make sure.

So that brings up another problem:

I looked up the hub units online and the same number was listed for all years... BR930040 (NAPA number), I'll check at work tomorrow just to make sure.

Check again. I absolutely guarantee you that the same hub/bearing unit does NOT fit all years. I have samples of both types out in the scrap pile. I have compared them, and they dimensions are visibly different.

Well they DO bolt into the bores in the knuckles just fine, that's why I didn't have any second thoughts about it untill I went to do the brakes. I've only checked on NAPAonline, I'll be able to check a little more officially tomorrow when I'm at work... If you've got any pictures that would be good.