D44 crown vic disk problems

I have an '89 MJ with an '87 XJ D44 with a crown vic disc conversion under it. Last week both axle seals started leaking BAD. I took it to the shop to have it worked on. Well, the mechanic said the bearings and seals were shot (after only 3 months and no off-roading). I picked up the truck yesterday only to have the seals start pouring again...only worse this time. I used the article from Jeepin.com to do the conversion. I need help fast. Any ideas what's going on?

I have an '89 MJ with an '87 XJ D44 with a crown vic disc conversion under it. Last week both axle seals started leaking BAD. I took it to the shop to have it worked on. Well, the mechanic said the bearings and seals were shot (after only 3 months and no off-roading). I picked up the truck yesterday only to have the seals start pouring again...only worse this time. I used the article from Jeepin.com to do the conversion. I need help fast. Any ideas what's going on?

I have a similar issue right now with my MJ D44, I kept losing my passenger side axle seal and bearing. The problem is that my passenger side axle is bent and instead of buying a new one we put it under a press and straightened it for now no bearing issues and small leakage. I still have the drum setup and it ruined a few drums due to leakage. I am hoping that your axle housing isn't warped.....since both sides are leaking.

What I don't understand is that since you're using the same axles and diff housing that the old drum brakes were on, why should the seals start leaking w. the disks? Mine don't.

What would happen if the retainer plates were turned around the wrong direction? That's one thing I forgot to look at.

I don't know what would happen (might leak :eek: ), but the lip on the new retainer plates should face inward toward the pumpkin.

Although it won't account for the bearing... If you like playing the mud, there is a price to pay. Mud LOVES axle seals!!!

Also, How is the surface the seal runs on? A rough /imperfect surface here can "eat" seals as well.

As for your bearings.. well bent housing will sure do it, but so will poor quality bearing, improperly installed and lack of enough lubrication. Did you/ your mech. swap the bearing AND a new race, of skimp and just do the bearing?

CW

Installed new bearings and races. I don't know how the housing would be bent if it wasn't before the disk swap. It hasn't been off the road. Could the Ausi posi be installed wrong?

When we pulled the bent axle outta mine the PO had installed the bearings backwards, and it did leak :eek: