Aussie and Lokka

Aussie Lockers *were* made in Australia by Lokka under license. Things were swell. Then Lokka started using Chinese metal and parts and failures skyrocketed. Things could not be worked out so Aussie ended its agreement with Lokka and moved production to the US using US steel while also updating some designs. Lokka continues to make the Lokka with Chinese components and sells them cheap. Aussie has not had any connection with Lokka in years. The info is out there. I say good day, sir

I'll admit I was at least partially wrong.

However, having a bunch of Aussie reps get bent about this has little value to me.  They have everything to lose by a comparable product being offered for cheaper.  Even the comment that "there is no Lokka dealers because their pricing does not leave room for a dealer" is telling.

I can get a Spartan for the same price as an Aussie.  I can get a Lokka for less than either.  The Spartan is the best of the bunch from the standpoint of quality, so why pay the same for 2nd place?

I also don't know anyone who has broken a Lokka.  And I know a lot of people running them.  Why?  Because they're a lot cheaper (and just as fast) for us to get out of Oz than it is to get an Aussie or Spartan out of the US.  Now, I do know people that broke their carrier while running a lunchbox...  Which is normally the real failure point if you're abusive with that design of locker.

That said as always, my posts are my opinion, you got exactly what you paid for with them, and the warranty ended before my fingers left the keys.

Has anyone had any experience with a Lunchbox Locker failing? I haven't heard of any failures personally, but then, I haven't had much to do with them.

The majority of us on tight budgets don't run the parts we want to run, we run the parts we can afford. Otherwise, why run an auto locker in the first place? I personally would much rather a selectable locker.

My point is, run what you can afford, and treat it accordingly.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Has anyone had any experience with a Lunchbox Locker failing? I haven't heard of any failures personally, but then, I haven't had much to do with them.

The majority of us on tight budgets don't run the parts we want to run, we run the parts we can afford. Otherwise, why run an auto locker in the first place? I personally would much rather a selectable locker.

My point is, run what you can afford, and treat it accordingly.

I had an Aussie shatter in the rear of my KJ. That led me to look into it and discover that I had a Chinese Lokka version. I waited a few months and replaced it with an American made Aussie. But lunchbox failures do seem rare. Spring and pin wear are about it.

No, but if someone tells you they have an Aussie Locker, do THEY know if they have an Aussie or a Lokka? If I was to sell you my Jeep with an "Aussie Locker" in it, would you be confident it was genuine? I have no bias either way between Spartan and Aussie, they cost the same, and do the same from the reviews I have read. So choosing one or the other would make no difference to me, other than to distance myself from the "apparent" confusion.

I wouldn't be confident that any part on a used vehicle is genuine.  Many, many stories of people buying something with a "whatever locker" and "whatever axleshafts" and "professional gear setup with quality parts" etc etc to only take it apart and realize it's a welded stock carrier or a lunchbox locker, Motive gears with a terrible pattern and .030" of backlash, Sung-Lao bearings, and a set of stock axleshafts that have been broken and welded previously or have twisted splines.

If you can't see it, assume it's not right.

And IMHO used offroad parts are worth pennies on the dollar.  I don't know what you did to them, and often what has been done is even worse than what I could have imagined.

No, but if someone tells you they have an Aussie Locker, do THEY know if they have an Aussie or a Lokka? If I was to sell you my Jeep with an "Aussie Locker" in it, would you be confident it was genuine? I have no bias either way between Spartan and Aussie, they cost the same, and do the same from the reviews I have read. So choosing one or the other would make no difference to me, other than to distance myself from the "apparent" confusion.

Easy: if it is made in the US it is an Aussie. If it is not it is a Chinese Lokka. Go to Lokka's website and you will see they tout "Australian" engineering not manufacture. ;) Buy one and see where the origin of manufacture is....

I wouldn't be confident that any part on a used vehicle is genuine. Many, many stories of people buying something with a "whatever locker" and "whatever axleshafts" and "professional gear setup with quality parts" etc etc to only take it apart and realize it's a welded stock carrier or a lunchbox locker, Motive gears with a terrible pattern and .030" of backlash, Sung-Lao bearings, and a set of stock axleshafts that have been broken and welded previously or have twisted splines.

And IMHO used offroad parts are worth pennies on the dollar. I don't know what you did to them, and often what has been done is even worse than what I could have imagined.

You are right, IMHO a highly modified setup is worth less to me than a stock setup. At least if I do it, I know how it was done. But then if I go to sell my modified setup, I will have to expect the same reaction.

I wouldn't be confident that any part on a used vehicle is genuine. Many, many stories of people buying something with a "whatever locker" and "whatever axleshafts" and "professional gear setup with quality parts" etc etc to only take it apart and realize it's a welded stock carrier or a lunchbox locker, Motive gears with a terrible pattern and .030" of backlash, Sung-Lao bearings, and a set of stock axleshafts that have been broken and welded previously or have twisted splines.

And IMHO used offroad parts are worth pennies on the dollar. I don't know what you did to them, and often what has been done is even worse than what I could have imagined.

You are right, IMHO a highly modified setup is worth less to me than a stock setup. At least if I do it, I know how it was done. But then if I go to sell my modified setup, I will have to expect the same reaction.