87 Jeep Comanche 4Cyl Manual 4Wd Into A Straight 6 Auto

my 88 jeep comanche, straight six, auto, 4wd, LONG BED

87 i may buy, 4cyl, manual, 4wd SHORTBED

questions

1. I'm fairly sure straight six will bolt right up, yes?

2. auto should bolt right up, yes?

3. auto will bolt up to transfer case in the 87, no replacement,  keep same driveshafts.

I want to make absolutely sure ive covered my butt and this will be a mostly painless swap.

my 88's body is TORE Up so i just want to put the guts in an 87.

please point out where i am wrong.

sorry if this is a DUH moment.

Driveshafts will be different between 4cyl and 6 cyl.

6 cyl auto drivetrain is longer

You'll need the wiring from the 88 6 cyl truck to put it into the 87.

Motor mounts from the 88 also.

Radiator and radiator support from the 88.

Fuel pump from the 88, I believe TBI and MPI have different fuel pressure.

There may be more.

• 1 month later...

But all holes should be in the unibody for the engine,  tranny, and tranafer case if my new body is 2wd.  If I have all parts everything should swap minus the drive shafts?  All the way from radiator to column shifter?  Just mirror from one truck to the other basically.  Idont want to dump a couple hundred finding a four banger comanche(bad engine of course) and realize id be doing unibody drilling. Anybody have a link to a build thread of this?  can't find another reasonably priced  straight six auto 4x4 to save my life.  Can throw a dead cat and hit a 4 banger

My 88 started it's life as a Black 2.5L 2WD 4Spd no A/C truck, good body, good title and some minor unibody damage drivers side from a light hit. Couple of hours on the frame machine, a new inner section welded in and it was remanufactured into a White Renix 4.0L, 4X4  Auto AW5 with a NP242 TC with Air (A/C was dealer installed). It's a big job but pretty straightforward. As long as you have the parts or the right donor, I can't remember anything that was problematic in converting the truck over. Axles obviously need to be swapped.

If you move forward, I'd be interested in the 2.5L engine wiring harness - building an 88' 2.5L and the harness is trashed.

You should have everything you need except the rear drive shaft. You have a complete donor truck and all the holes should be in place.

For the ones recommending the HO swap he already owns the 88 donor truck with a bad body, he is buying the 87 4 banger because it has a better body.