Strange Observation about Bugs

brigarpeon

I own a couple Jeeps and a couple International Harvester Pick up trucks. I've observed that some who own one also own the other. So OK, lets say that maybe somewhat normal. Recently on this forum and the others, I've noticed that people have been picking up on things in the back round. My strange revelation is that alot of those who own a Jeep, an IHC and/or both, also have a VW Baja Bug.

So sound off: Who has one?

I'll start I have 2 Bajas and 4 standard beetles, one of which is my DD.

I used to be a VW guy back in the day.

Had a couple of bugs and a few squarebacks. I "Imported" a new old bug from Mexico even. Nobody would belive me that it was a 2000 when I was trying to sell it.

Man do I miss my squareback though. That was a fun car.

Baywindow story:

Long ago in a land farfar away... there was a green 69 Westfalia in the family, I can't reckon who it really belonged to but I believe it was my hippy aunt. It was used by my Dad and Uncle as a base camp for working away from home. They were somewhere on I-80 getting gas and a bite to eat when an accident on I-80 overflowed into the rest stop. The Westy took a direct frontal shot on the spare tire by a 5 ton dump truck. We went and got the thing the next Monday on the trailer. The thing was covered by insurance so a check was issued. We ended up building a trailer that the Westy body would set on without tires and it was used as a camper for many happy years. It even evolved into having a small porch on the back and an outdoor kitchen on the front. My uncle bought property in Ohio to work in the GM Vega plant and that was the last I saw the thing. This was circa 1970.

Baja Bug story:

There is a big ol mud pit on a power line about a mile from me. Penelec uses these 44" tired Service trucks to check and maintain the 750KV lines. They have roads on their easement and as a mud pit grows they just reroute the Service trucks and the locals take over the mud holes. There are people who come from West Virginia to try "The Crawshaw". Let's just say a factory Ford F- 150 with 31" tires will sink over the headlights and up to the hood if it goes in the Crawshaw. I've been out there in the Comanche and it's performed well buut it's never been in the Crawshaw. I have since decided that the Baja is the best mud runner I have. Here's why.

I had bought these 33 - 15.50- 15 High flotation sand tires from the place I work on sealed bid. Me and a friend mounted them up on a set of 15 x 12 VW rims I got from JC Whitney and put them on the back of the baja. So I started asking around about the smoothy High flotation sand dune tires that the rails run, not the ribbed type the smooth type. I found a pair up in Erie, through a mutual friend, that the guy wanted $100 for but were mounted on spindle mount rims. So when we went Steelhead fishing I picked them up and mounted them up on my stock VW rims and put them on the Baja. Next thing you know it's Memorial Day and you know how it is even old kids will play.

We got alot of rain the previous week and all the holes were full, the 3 streams that cross this powerline were flooding. After a few Eisbocks, actually Schneider Aventinus Weizeneisbock, the call went out... "POWERLINE"! So off the drunken horde set, to conquer. Here's where the guy in the F-150 LITERALLY DIVES INTO THE CRAWSHAW. Only to stop 1/3 of the way through buried to the hood. Now he wants the old Dodge WC 42 with a winch to pull him out. Nobody would take out the winch cable through the 3 feet of mud. The Crawshaw is down in a hole below grade so 2 full size 4x4 can't pass and if you stop you are done. So I volunteered to take out the cable. When they laughed and tried to hand me the cable I says " Hold on thare bobbalouie" and go get the Baja. Now wrap the cable around the door post, ya don't have windows in an offroad Baja LONG! Well they all scoffed and said "Do ya think you'll make out to the F-150"? Then we will have to pull you back! NOPE was all I said as I stuck her in first and creeped down into the Crawshaw. I could hear them holler'n better give it some gas or you'll blog down. I maintained my therom and tried to keep the wheel spin slow and pulled right up beside the F-150 and stopped. The crowd was ecstatic, you dumbxxs, man you mighta made it, ahhhhh. So I unwrapped the winch cable from the driver door post and hand it to the passenger side of the F-150 saying "I brought it, you get to hook it up". With that put the lil Baja in first and walked through the Crawshaw the other 2/3's of the way. I did have a spot of trouble getting out the other end but only becaause there was a vertical wall under the mud that I couldn't climb over. It would fish tail me around and start to bury the rear tires. I have a 2,500 lb ATV winch up front so I just had a buddy hook me up to a tree and I was out. I didn't truely conquer the Crawshaw cause I couldn't get out but I made it further than anybody else that day. Flotation man, it's your friend, that and knowing when to not spin the tires.

I've even had 33's all the way around this little car and it will rock krawl to a pretty good degree. But that's another story.