Fall Down and go BOOM! (TJ)

SuperWade2

Pictures speak for themselves (well more or less)... had an AWESOME day of Wheeling... And drove it home without much damage... Lucky the tree was there and it didn't roll down the hill... would have been a much different story...

I least I got my first flop out of the way...

img3646vc7.jpg

img3647ie7.jpg

And the story behind it is? Whats the damage?

P.S. You need a hawse fairlead on your winch. Your synthetic line will last much longer. ;)

Hollister Hills OHV Park, Hollister, CA...

Inexperienced Wheeler (me) + a Trail that was too Narrow (possibly a mis marked Motorcycle trail on the Upper Ranch, which is supposed to be all 4x4) and I just got too high on the right because I thought I was too close to the tree on the left (which I may have been). Was just me and one other guy, who was in front of me... Too Narrow to have him try to go around, so he circled back around and got behind me... Winched from the Frame behind the Front Passenger Wheel, I winched to a tree a little to the left (with tree saver) at the same time to pull the front end forward, back and forth until we got it tipped back to enough that I could climb back in and pull back a little, enough to get all 4 wheels back forward and more or less straight...

Only damage that I can see is a little indent in the driver door about the in the middle, by the bottom of the window (barely noticeable), and the soft top frame got a little tweaked and the plastic frame that it clips into got busted. It looks like the thing pretty much rested on the Rockers and laid softly into the branches up top. Got some new pinstripes from the narrow and branchy trail, but other wise nothing. The Flares were pushed in in one spot, but bounced right back out.

As far as the Roller vs Hawse, I think you would get some debate from guys that use their line a load more that I do... There are guys in our club that are sailors and fishermen here who have been using synthetic line on Jeeps LONG before it was popular and have never seen an issue with properly maintained rollers with caution used to the the pull angles and stuff. But Thanks, I like my rollers and they work for me...

ON a roll/flop safety note. Stock TJ/YJ/CJ cages are not meant to do but so much. I think the first mod to any rig should be a cage of some sort. I used to not think that way till I seen a couple of xj's flop and take serious damage (luckily everyone walked away) Also stock seatbelts offer lil or no protection in the event of a hard flop or roll. Buy a set of harneses and mount them to the floor if you have to. Better way is to have the seats mounted to the cage as well as the harnesses.

I will post up some pics of the way my seats and harneses are going to mount in the Turd in a day or so.

BTW glad you walked away with only minor damage.. just go to show you anything can happen when you go wheeling

ON a roll/flop safety note. Stock TJ/YJ/CJ cages are not meant to do but so much. I think the first mod to any rig should be a cage of some sort. I used to not think that way till I seen a couple of xj's flop and take serious damage (luckily everyone walked away) Also stock seatbelts offer lil or no protection in the event of a hard flop or roll. Buy a set of harneses and mount them to the floor if you have to. Better way is to have the seats mounted to the cage as well as the harnesses.

I will post up some pics of the way my seats and harneses are going to mount in the Turd in a day or so.

BTW glad you walked away with only minor damage.. just go to show you anything can happen when you go wheeling

Great points about the cage... I do have a bolt in Rock Hard 4x4 Cage, which I KNOW in a hard roll won't do a lot because it is still bolted onto the stock stuff. I've seen some video from one of the Cage Mfg's that showed a PRETTY HARD roll with just a bolt-it and the cage held up and the driver was more or less OK.

Since this is still a Daily Driver (50/50 with the MJ now, maybe a little more in Summer with the top down), I figured a Bolt-On would be good for the occasional wheeling I do and hold up for these types of "flops". If I ever make this my full time trail rig, I'll probably unbolt this cage, and have PolyPerformace or Jeff at Arabia's Overkill here in San Jose fab me up a full new cage (with the harness attachments like you talked about).

Was a pucker factor 10 for sure, glad I didn't have the kids with me. Am planning on taking them back there next week, but I think we will keep to the EASY trails for their first 4x4 experience.

The rig I am building now (the Turd)is going to be a DD until it recieves more trail beating, but to be safe I wanted a "GOOD" cage built, and believe it or not... it is a lot less then you would think to have one built by a Proffesional.

This was taken at Paragon in Oct 05 in the play ground area. Basically he rolled over backwards doing a hill climb. This was close to closing time.. so wedidnt hang around to find out what the total damage was. but by the looks of it.. he lost his radiator and front winshield at least. A grille hoop and a decent inerior cage could have limited his damage.

474358916JsZBPq_th.jpg

This was taken at Paragon in Oct 05 in the play ground area. Basically he rolled over backwards doing a hill climb. This was close to closing time.. so wedidnt hang around to find out what the total damage was. but by the looks of it.. he lost his radiator and front winshield at least. A grille hoop and a decent inerior cage could have limited his damage.

Sheesh.

I know that hill. That's not even the "hillclimb" hill -- that's the trail into the playground area. I've done that in a bone stock XJ, as well as my MJ. Somebody had to really work to flip a TJ on that.

I wiped the top layer of dirt off and think that I am VERY fortunate... VERY VERY... Damage is basically nonexistent... The Pass side/Hood got more damage from the scraping of the branches getting out of the Bike trail...

Just a small crease along the body line indent behind the side view mirror mount... I little rough under the mirror, and I can see spots on the rockers where it was resting on it...

Need to check the fluids all around...was pretty sure I saw some Diff fluid that leaked out, but not sure what else...

img1233ce4.jpg

Pass Side Pin striping...

img1235vl9.jpg

New Hood Decorations...

img1237fg3.jpg

Guest vzehler

Glad to hear you made it out unscathed.

Also, I don't mean to sound cliche... But most of that will buff out..

I wiped the top layer of dirt off and think that I am VERY fortunate... VERY VERY... Damage is basically nonexistent... The Pass side/Hood got more damage from the scraping of the branches getting out of the Bike trail...

Just a small crease along the body line indent behind the side view mirror mount... I little rough under the mirror, and I can see spots on the rockers where it was resting on it...

Need to check the fluids all around...was pretty sure I saw some Diff fluid that leaked out, but not sure what else...

img1233ce4.jpg

Pass Side Pin striping...

img1235vl9.jpg

New Hood Decorations...

img1237fg3.jpg

Those aren't scratches, creases, or even indents.....simply added character :brows: , makes yours unique from all others :cheers:. The way I see it with ANY vehicle is this, if you want it to remain "perfect" ya gotta put it in a glass case and only take it out for dusting it off :brows: