Fuel Pump

Hey there. Was out Turkey hunting this weekend and my fuel pump was getting really loud, like it was straining. Truck still ran fine, thank god....but I am wondering what the first indications are that a fuel pump is about to go bad. Take the normal pump noise and easily double it. Sounds deeper, and that is why I say it sounded like it was straining. Truck was hot, cause a lot of 4x4....I noticed once it had cooled down overnight it didnt do it anymore?

Trying to keep this thing reliable though, and wasnt sure about this and what others had experienced with fuel pumps going out.

My only other recent development is a stumble at acceleration at 3/4 to full throttle. I read that this could also be due to fuel pump problems. Its not ANY sensor in the truck, cause they are all brand new. Just got done replacing every single one in the sucker, haha! and tuned the TPS.

Putting in the ford 4-hole injectors this week.............might be putting a fuel pump in now too?

while searching, its becoming apparent that I mihgt have a problem finding a complete setup (sending unit/pump). But I CAN get just the pump?

Its working right now and everything, but getting the feeling it won't be much longer if it keeps that up!

while searching, its becoming apparent that I mihgt have a problem finding a complete setup (sending unit/pump). But I CAN get just the pump?

Its working right now and everything, but getting the feeling it won't be much longer if it keeps that up!

Before you take the plunge and buy a new pump, change the fuel filter if it hasn't been done in recent memory, and do a pressure test at the fuel rail. Both a clogged filter and/or a bad fuel regulator can cause your symptoms. Might save some $$ and time. :cheers:

the fuel filter just got replaced a couple months ago, less than 1k miles with a NAPA gold. I havent messed with the fuel regulator. How do I do the pressure test? Right off that pressure bleeder on the rail? What do I use and what am I looking for?

Its weird, cause the pump hasnt made those awful sounds sense....but it also hasnt been that hot sense either. I do get that stumble after the engine is hot though (about 200) when punching it. And it shouldnt be ANY sensor, cause they are all brand new, and the tps is tuned .8/5.0. Runs perfect cold and warming up!

the fuel filter just got replaced a couple months ago, less than 1k miles with a NAPA gold. I havent messed with the fuel regulator. How do I do the pressure test? Right off that pressure bleeder on the rail? What do I use and what am I looking for?

Its weird, cause the pump hasnt made those awful sounds sense....but it also hasnt been that hot sense either. I do get that stumble after the engine is hot though (about 200) when punching it. And it shouldnt be ANY sensor, cause they are all brand new, and the tps is tuned .8/5.0. Runs perfect cold and warming up!

You'll need a fuel pressure tester kit like the Actron CP7818. Connect the gauge to the Schrader valve on the fuel rail, start the engine. Pressure should read 31 psi w. the vacuum line connected to the regulator; 39 w. it disconnected. If this is okay, the fuel pump is doing it's job, and your problem is most likely elsewhere.

You could also have clogged pick up foot on the pump assembly. There shouldn't be a problem w/ a new fuel filter delilvering pressure to the rail. That symptom would be stalling or low power or hesitation up around WOT. But if the pump is straining it would most likely be because of an obstruction, unless the pump is failing. Now you will be able to read low pressure output at the rail. If you can't get the pressure up with the regulator to 30-32 psi, then it's just a matter of time. :redX: