Engine wire harness ?

Is the engine wire harness (the one that plugs into the computer) the same or different between and automatic and a standard. And if not, will the wire harness from and automatic work ok in a stick shift?

The computers are different, but the harness is the same.

My 88s (MJ and XJ) are 5-speeds and they have the unused connector for the tranny TPS harness that would go to the TCU.

X2

I've got an 89 harness from an auto, ready to go into my 87 5 speed. The only difference is an extra harness that goes from the ECU to the TCU under the dash, and to the tranny wiring.

Jeff

great, thats what i wanted to hear. the PO pulled the original harness out and swapped another one in kind of half heartedly. the better of the two and the one that was sitting in the bed has the connector for the TCU. i just wanted to make sure there wasnt some kind of interconnect that ran to the TCU that required the controller to permit firing of the engine. now i can finish checking continuity of all those wires and drop it in so i can get it running again.

Mike

you'll need to jumper the wiring for the NSS for fire. On the bottom set of wires on the connector, jump the two inside wires together (black and white wires, IIRC).

Jeff

thanks for the heads up jeff. upon further inspection, i might have to rip all the wiring out of this thing and start anew with some donors. looking closer at it, ive found a lot of splices in there as well as plugs that have been cut off and replaced with terminal ends and spades. anyone got all the harnesses to fit an 98?