Heater hose doohicky

I don't have a picture right now but does anyone have a little check valve looking thing on the inlet heater hose? If so do you know what it is for?

It was leaking and I am gonna do something with my heater hoses other than run them to the heater core. So should I keep it so I can get another or can I just eliminate it completely? My truck was originally a 2.8 2wd. It is now a 5.7 2wd. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's a vaccuum operated valve that allows coolant flow to the heater core. When you slide the temp control on the heater control over to hot, you also are sending a vac signal to it to open up. When it's set to cold, coolant doesn't circulate thru the core.

You can eliminate it, you'll just have your core active all the time. It may be a bit warmer inside the cab in the summer, though.

Jeff

It's a vaccuum operated valve that allows coolant flow to the heater core. When you slide the temp control on the heater control over to hot, you also are sending a vac signal to it to open up. When it's set to cold, coolant doesn't circulate thru the core.

You can eliminate it, you'll just have your core active all the time. It may be a bit warmer inside the cab in the summer, though. Jeff

Since the 1997+ XJs don't have the water valve, I eliminated it and plugged the vacuum line. No difference in the cab temps.

Thanks guys. Looks like I am gonna get rid of it. If you didn't see the rear radiator thread I am gonna run my heater hoses to a heater core mounted in the front so no coolant will be flowing through the cab heater core until winter. :cheers: