So I changed my Valve Cover Gasket

Hey guys

Finally got around to changing my valve cover gasket in an attempt to fix my oil leak. no idea where oil was coming from because engine was covered and so was tranny and everything all the way back to the rear diff which had oil even on the BACK side.... that oil gets around :brows:

So anyways, got one of those 50 dollar felpro gaskets from autozone thats supposed to last forever, put it on, was tightening bolts... and a bolt broke :mad:

So after lots of swearing (the bolt wasnt even NEAR being tight, not sure what happened, maybe I didnt clean the threads on it enough) So anyways, Luckily a friend had one of those extractor things where you drill a tiny hole in the middle of the bolt and push a drillbit like teeth thing into it, never seen one before, but it worked great, got that thing out, pulled a bolt off the parts truck, and bam. all set

So now that Its been changed, no oil leaks, and my oil pressure no longer drops to zero when I'm at a stoplight.

So anyways, moral of the story is if your in a similar situation to where I was, oil everywhere, only leaks when truck is running and for a few minutes after its parked, and unstable oil pressure, try changing the valve cover gasket!!

Even with the broken bolt and me taking my time and a million people calling (noone calls me when I'm doin nothing, but as soon as I'm covered in grease phone won't stop ringing) the operation took 2 hours. Plus I had to drive to a local store to get some brakecleen. I also got a new oil cap because some oil was leaking out of there , and it fits a lot tighter, no oil leaking.

O, and old valve cover was a cork one and was broken in many places, and I don't think it was even installed right.

So yea, if you got a problem similar to that, change your valve cover gasket! Lots of people I know wanted me to do the rear main seal, but valve cover is a LOT easier so do it first!!

Glad it worked out for you. I have to do mine soon too as mine is still the silicone only. The cover has been off a couple times at the dealership, but a gasket was never used...only silicone just like it comes from the factory. I am going with the Felpro cork on it though as I have always had good luck with them.

I still need to pull my valve cover. The CCV valve is plugged up, causing oil to leak out the breather and onto my air filter. Don't know if mine has a gasket or not, but it will after I'm done with it.

I am doing mine tomorrow. I bought the felpro one too for $42 at autozone. I am hoping this prevents me from having to my rear main too.

What did you use to put the baffles back in the valve cover? did you find the baffle gaskets or just use rtv?

I am also replacing all the CCV tubes at the same time. Both halves of the line that come off the front of the cover and the line that comes off the back of the cover to the TB.

Autozone here has two gaskets. One Felpro one for $38 that is special order/internet order only, and a $4.99 cork one. I'm just using the cork one. Is the expensive one reusable?

Autozone here has two gaskets. One Felpro one for $38 that is special order/internet order only, and a $4.99 cork one. I'm just using the cork one. Is the expensive one reusable?

Yeah the $38 ($42 w/ tax)is reusable. Some autozones have it in stock, out of the 6 near me, only one had it in stock.

mvusse wrote:

do not use the cork one. i repeat do not use the cork one. get the one maddzz1 got. i hight recomended it to him. i would recomend it to everyone you don't even need to use rtv.