Need Help

I will try to explain the best I can. THe other day I started getting a noise like either a strong vibration or a grinding. At first it only did it in D-3-21; Now it does it in every gear except reverse. it only does it while stopped. As soon as i give it gas it stops. You can hear the noise the loudest in the cab. No noise at all under the hood. It seems to be coming from near the tranny/transfer case. Transfer case fluid was low so i filled it.

Since it's only while stopped, I would tend to think that it's a problem with the torque converter or the front pump in the tranny since all other tranny parts would be motionless at that point.

I am not an tranny expert by any means so this is just what it sounds like to be possible to me. ;)

What do you mean by the front pump in the tranny? Can I get to it by dropping the pan?

I ave heard of the torque converter bolts coming loose on these trannys. I need to drop the tranny to tighten them right?

Check the four bolts holding the flex plate to the torque converter. If they have gotten loose, they can make some strange noises. The other possibility is that the flex plate itself is cracked. The crack is usually semi-circular, around the outside of the reinforcing ring where the bolts attach the flex plate to the rear of the crankshaft. With the inspection cover removed from the bottom of the bellhousing you can usually see the crack if you pry (gently) on the flex plate with a pry bar, but you may have to turn it a couple of times to get the crack in a position where you can see it. It's not readily visible -- if it's there, you will have to look hard to see it.

The clue for either of these conditions is if it makes a knocking sound at idle, but if you put the tranny in drive and apply a slight amount of throttle with the brakes on, the load dampens the noise and it goes away.

However -- the noise for these conditions is more of a knock than a grinding noise, so I'm not entirely certain this is the answer in this case.

Eagle, So I have to remove that cover behind the oil pan (is this the inspection cover)? What does the flex plate look like once i get the cover off? I am still very new to any type of investigative wrenching.

the flex plate is a thin circle with gear teeth all the way round it. the teeth are what the starter uses to turn the engine while starting. there are 4 bolt holding the torque converter to the flex plate which are accesable by removing the inspection cover

the flex plate is a thin circle with gear teeth all the way round it. the teeth are what the starter uses to turn the engine while starting. there are 4 bolt holding the torque converter to the flex plate which are accesable by removing the inspection cover

So I don't actually have to remove the transmission to tighten the converter? That makes me much happier.

Does anyone have a pic of the bolts i need to tighten?

So I don't actually have to remove the transmission to tighten the converter? That makes me much happier.

Does anyone have a pic of the bolts i need to tighten?

You don't have to remove the tranny to tighten the bolts, if they are loose. If the flex plate (flywheel) is cracked, you have to slide the tranny back to replace it. I did it without actually removing it from under the vehicle, using one of those Harbor Freight Tools manual transmission jacks.

does this same info apply to the 2.8 with 3spd auto tranny?

Don't have a clue. I've never heard of it as a problem with the smaller, 3-speed tranmissions, only the 4.0L with the AW4.