2wd/ going 4wd Problems, transmisson to high

Hello to everybody

I'm having an 89 2,5 l TBI with AX4 2 wd

so the tranny was blown I'm going for the AX5( don´t know where from) and the NP242( XJ 92) :?: to make it an 4wd

everythings bolts right in

the problem is the 242 is sitting to high under the floor

so lowering the combo about 1" helps for clearing high

the problem of the 242 still sitting to high is still there wich results in giving no room for the holder of the shiftinglever next to the stick of the transmission

looks like the floorpan may be different then the one of the xj or the crossmember needs another holder for the tranny so i used all i have ( from Diesel and 2,5 xj)

someone ever had this problem or knowig a solution

Pics are welcome too

Here a Pic from a jeepbuddy showing the piont of problem

http://jeep.cfasp.de/upload/24266.jpg

If your AX5 is of unknown origin, it may have come from a YJ. The TC mounting holes on the rear of it are clocked about 10 deg differently than XJ/MJ trannies. You might try to clearance the floorpan with a weapon of your choice :)

I think Pete M is running a YJ AX15 in his MJ and had a similar problem (?) Maybe shoot him a message and see if he has any suggestions.

HTH,

Jeff

by the way, keep the group posted on how the 242 works out behind the AX tranny (hopefully well!) I'm planning on a 242 behind mine come springtime.

@ MJEff87

thanks for the info

thought about the YJ already so i never heard about it before.

first time a post in here stated something like this

probably XJ don´t have the space problem as an MJ

i did send PETEm an messeage hope he has a solution

the last opinion will be cutting the floorpan and putting part of an XJ in, but this will not really work cause i wanna keep the bench

a bench truck over here is something special

What do you want to know about the 242 behind the AX-5?

something special or just if its reliable and will handel the "power"?

so first i´m looking for different solutions even if money is short

a used tranny is over 300 here , and my AX 5 is fine :-(

Yup, I believe you've got a YJ/TJ tranny there. I had to invent a few parts in order to adapt my 99 AX-15. It's tight to the floor, but there's about a half inch of clearance and to date it hasn't hit the sheetmetal.

I built my own crossmember and used the TJ trans mount so I had a flat underbelly. I haven't a clue how it would turn out with an MJ mount and stock crossmember. The crossmember is a simple U-channel that I bolted to that funky bracket that MJ crossmembers bolt to (XJs don't have them). I think the TJ trans mount is lower profile that XJs, but I'm not positive on that.

The T-case linkage was pieced together from the TJ parts and the linkage I swiped from my 86. A simple bar of steel functions as the tranny-side mounting point. I'm unfamiliar with the NP-242 linkage though.

It was certainly a bit more work than an MJ/XJ tranny, but I feel I got a better truck in the end. It's hard to argue with great ground clearance. :D

Do you have any pictures of what you've got?

Jeep on!

--Pete

The 242 was never offered from the factory behind a manual tranny, although it is a direct bolt up. There are a few folks over on NAXJA who have swapped one in place of their 231's behind an AX15, and there are various opinions on how the differential inside it gets along with the manual tranny when in full-time mode. Some say there's no problem, others say there's alot of driveline slop when shifting the tranny between gears. One person claims to have "blown up" 3 242's and ended up going back to the 231 :roll:

I've got no doubts as to the strength of it, especially behind a 2.5/AX5, and am going to swap on in mine, probably in the spring. Hopefully I can find a D44 by that time, and can do a whole makeover all at once (new engine, tranny, 242, front and rear axle, and either an AAL/spacers, or springover rear and front lift).

Have you put any miles on your 242 yet? any observations on driveline swap? (I doubt it)

Jeff

IF it's a YJ tranny, why not redrill the mounting flange to clock the 242 down a little like it's supposed to be in an XJ?

While not the best option for ground clearance, it may give you the tub clearance you need. It's give and take, lose ground clearance or cut/beat on the tub.